Chapter 3

Ten more minutes, and I'm free from school. I'm now in the boring ass math class and my teacher is rambling on about equations. I drum my fingers on the desk and stare at the front. How is this math ever going to help me in my everyday life? I watch the clock  and I am not listening to my teacher. The time passes slowly but before I know it, the bell rings and I'm free from school. I grab the homework and go outside along with heading to my locker. I pack up my stuff and head outside along with heading to The Bulletin. The streets were loud,so like anyone. I put on my headphones and play music. 'No Man's Woman' is the song comes on and I mouth to the words. The Bulletin office was four blocks from my school and I never took taxi because of the traffic. I walk quickly and get to The Bulletin along with going to my cubicle and I boot up my computer. I pull out my project for History and stare at the picture. Who was this woman? I login to my computer and I pull up an article I'm working on about the street crime in Hells Kitchen. It's always fascinated me how much people get away with on the streets but that has decreased since we had vigilantes running around saving our city. I sigh and write a bit more for the article along with saving what I had written so far. I open a tab along with searching up 'Jewel Superhero.' A Wikipedia page, a superhero page, and a few newspaper articles. Maybe I could find some articles about her in the old newspaper section and I decided that is how I was going to spend my work. I get the keys to access the papers and I start to go through them. I pull out ones that mention vigilantes or people with abilities. They date all the way back to  1999 and that is the year I was born in. I then read through them and find a couple about this Jewel woman. She seemed pretty neat and she was also a former Avenger. I then find one from 2002 where it says that Jewel had been kicked from the Avengers from attempted murder. She claimed that someone made her do it but they didn't buy it. Then I find one from 2008 that is about Jewel and where was she now. I take those articles along with a couple more and return to my desk. I had been searching for papers for about 2 hours and it was now around 5 PM. I usually don't go home until 6 PM, so I guess I can write some more and that's exactly what I do. I've always loved writing and when I was little I always loved to write in a journal about stuff that I would make up. When I got older, I wrote about Hells Kitchen for the school newspaper and all of my teachers were impressed about how well I could write. My father use to read my writing and would always love to read what I wrote but when I started to write for The Bulletin, I used a cover name because some of the stuff I wrote could be considered controversial. Dad always complimented the writer Jackie Hardy and that was my cover up name, so I knew my father still liked my writing. Dad knew I worked there but he always questioned why my articles were never in the paper but I just told him that it could be that there were enough articles sent in. My boss was picky about what went in the paper but mine always made it in. I save my article that is now done and I send it to my boss along with packing up all my things. I put on my bag and head outside along with waving to get a taxi. I get one and get in along with telling him where to go. I sat there and stared out of the window with looking at the Jewel photo. Who is she? And what happened to her?