Chapter 11

I wake up and I realize it's Saturday. I yawn and my clock says '8:23 AM.' I slowly get up and I hear a piece of paper crinkle underneath me. I look down and pick up a letter in an envelope. It was in dads handwriting and I open it along with wondering what it was. The wedding invitation...shit. I sigh and I read it with a frown. 'You are invited to the wedding of Kevin Thompson and Sarah Blunt. On Monday the 10th of October.' I frown and said "2 days..." I set the invitation down. I change into a pair of yoga pants and a long sleeve shirt along with putting on a jacket over it. I grab my earbuds and I put my phone in my pocket. I go downstairs and Dad along with Sarah are sitting at the table with a laptop in front of them. I put my hair up in a pony tail and I go to the fridge along with grabbing my water. I was having my annual Saturday morning run and I needed it desperately. "Hailee. Did you get the invite?" I nodded and said "Yep. Gotta go." I put my headphones and I out to the elevator. I put on my running playlist and hit shuffle. 'We Are Never Getting Back Together' comes on and I smile. I run outside and start to run down the streets. I mouth along with the words and keep running. I turn into the park and run still. I had my water bottle in my hand and I take a drink along with jogging. I look around and people are walking along with running. I pass the playground and I hear someone yelling my name. It's that guy from yesterday and I roll my eyes. I slow down and he catches up with me. "What do you want?" I ask and he says "Talk..and go to get coffee." I roll my eyes and said "Listen British boy, I'm not interested. And "getting coffee" do you think I'm stupid?" He rose an eyebrow and said "Uh..I'm sorry. Getting coffee means going to get coffee at a cafe. What do yo-Oh..you thought I was asking if you wanted to go have..sex? Yeah no..I just want to go get coffee. I don't understand why you would think getting coffee means having sex." He chuckled and rolls his eyes. I stare at him and sigh. "Fine. Let's go get coffee. Better keep up." I said and I run to the nearby cafe while he slowly follows behind me. We go to a nearby cafe and he was bent over, panting. "How are you so fast..holy shit.." He says between pants and he looks at me. "I've been running for 8 years..so that explains it." He nods and he says "Yep. Let's go in." We walk in and he smiles at me along with going up to order. "One mint tea." I say and he says "One black coffee, please." The woman nods and she goes off to make our drinks. We sit at a table for two and I pull out my phone along with taking my headphones out. "So. Why were you at that talk show yesterday?" He asks and I set my phone down. "I was getting a report for the paper I work for. The Bulletin." He smiles and said "I read it all the time. Love that Jackie writer." I nod and said "Me too." He nods and I said "How long have you lived here? In the US?" He smiled and said "4 Months. You?" I smile and said "Whole life. Hells Kitchen raised." He nods and said "This city is fascinating." I nod and the waitress sets down the drinks. I take a sip of my tea and he drinks his coffee. "So. Your what..seventeen?" He asks and I nodded. "I am eighteen." He says and I said "That's why I've probably to seen you around my high school." He nods and said "I work at the hospital." I smile and said "A hard profession but a good one." He nods and said "True to that." We drink in silence and he says "So. You live with your parents still?" I shrug and said "I live with my dad and his fiancé to be. Two days till their marriage actually." He nods and said "So. You live with your dad and stepmom." I nod and said "And my stepbrother." He nods and said "Interesting." I look out the window and he was checking his phone. "I have to go unfortunately..work calls." He says and I nod. "Here's my number." He says as he wrote it on a napkin and he smiles. He jogs out of the building and I put his number in my pocket. I finish my tea and I head outside along with going outside. I run through the park again and I go back to the apartment. I go inside and was greeted by the warmth I the apartment. "Run good?" Dad asks and I nodded. I put my water away and he says "So. Wedding in two days! Excited?" I shrugged and said "I guess.." Dad sighs and said "I know you don't want a new mom but think about it. You get a new brother." I shrug and said "I guess..Dad..why don't you talk about..my mom?" He sighs and he takes off his glasses along with rubbing his face. "She..hurt me Hailee...terribly...Like all couples...we hit our point.." He sighs and I said "You would've never hurt her...right?" He frowns and said "Hell no. I would've never laid a finger on her..where in gods name would you get an idea about that?" I look down and said "I was just wondering..I mean she had to leave for a legitimate reason." He sighs and said "She left for her own reasons.." I nod and he says "What is with you wondering about your mom?" I shrug and said "I don't know..I'm just curious." He nod and said "Maybe after the wedding we'll talk about it. Alright Haiz?" I nod and Dad kissed my head along with walking away. He had left his laptop open and he was sending an email. It hadn't been addressed yet and it says 'Stay the fuck away from my daughter. I don't need her knowing the problem you caused.' I frown and I cancel the email along with shutting his laptop. I go upstairs and go to my bedroom along with shutting the door. I change into a sweatshirt and pants along with pulling out the box from the closet. I had some more investigating to do.