6.

I am woken in the middle of the night by nurses talking loudly close to the door. Looking over at them I see they're admiring Dex who's asleep next to me in the bed.

How is he comfy sleeping right next to me in this bed?

Waving the nurse over I whisper. "You can do your tests. Please, don't wake him up."

She whispers. "We've never had someone like him here and seeing how he hasn't left your side since you've been here it shows up how much he loves you."

A smile spreads across my face. "I love him, too. The road we've taken to get here has been rocky, but when I need him the most he's there for me. Last year I had nothing and this year I have everything. Including a child with him."

"I saw a middle-aged woman with a child leaving here earlier. Was that yours?"

"Yes, that was my daughter, Faith and her Grandma. We're lucky to have her living close by that she can be there for her when we're not."

She checks the medications that's being pumped into me and then my temperature. I bite the small tube and wait for the result. She writes it on the paper. "I'll be back later to check on you, Miss Montgomery."

"Okay," the door closes and I look over at Dex who has his eyes open. He places his hand on my face. "Are you feeling guilty that we're not with Faith?"

"Yes," moving my head to his chest. "We're Faith's parents and she should be with us and not your mother. When you took her away from me it hurt, but now she's with me on a fulltime basis I can't be without her."

He kisses the top of my head. "When you get out of here she will be with you all the time. So, will I. I don't want to be separated from you anymore."

I feel sleep consume me and I'm out like a light.

There's clinking as a tray is placed on the table

There's clinking as a tray is placed on the table. A female whispers. "Does your wife want tea or coffee?"

"Neither. She doesn't drink that stuff now."

"Okay, if you need anything else please let me know."

"I will." Dex says. The cart is wheeled away and I open my eyes. Looking at Dex I say. "Can you get me something descent to eat? I hate the crap they feed us."

He laughs. "Mom will be here shortly with hotcakes, hash browns and orange juice for you."

I hug him. "Thanks for calling your Mom."

He kisses the top of my head. "I'd do anything for you." Dex's phone rings and he pulls it off the nightstand.

I see 'Private Detective' on the screen. "Why do you need a private dick?"

He climbs off the bed. "I'm helping out your sister." With that he walks out of the room.

Why the hell is he helping her out? All she's done is create problems for me and then she ran me over with her car.

Grabbing my phone from my handbag I go through it until I find my sister's name. When I get to it I call her.

The phone rings a couple of time and then she answers it.

Christa: Hello, Ava. Long time no talk.

Me: Stay away from my fiancé.

Christa: I can't. He's helping me bring my kids home and take the Close Family out. They need to be behind bars for everything they've done. My kids also need to be home with me and they're new siblings.

Me: I don't care if you're going to bring them down. My family will not be a part of it. You've done enough. Trying to kill me isn't acceptable and its part of the long list of shit I won't ever forgive you for.

I hang up the phone and wait for Dex to come back to the room. When he does he walks over to the bed and sits in the chair next to me. He grabs my hand. "I have to tell you something."

"You're helping my sister bring the Close Family down. I know because I called her and told her to stay away from you. If you insist on helping her you can't be around me. I don't want to be involved in the pissing match that's going to happen when the Close Family find out that you're digging into their business."

"What do you know about that family, Ava?"

Looking him in the eyes I say. "You're not going to be able to find anything on them. I've tried for years and every time I came close to something the lead died. There's something that my Sister doesn't know. Darren isn't a Close. He's an undercover FBI Agent, who's been in too deep since Christa was involved in the family. He had to play along, but..." I look past him and out the window. "He's not going to be the same person and I really want to get him out."

"How do you know all this?"

"After Frank tried to have my family killed Darren came to see me and he gave me all the information I needed. He told me to keep my mouth shut. Also, not in too many words he asked for my help to get him out of there. The FBI can't touch them because the Close Family have Corrupted Politicians, Police, CIA, FBI and spies on their side. One slip up and you'll be taken out without questions asked. There's one thing that my family has an advantage on."

"What's that?"

"They think we're dead. The day Darren came to the hospital he got copies of death certificates and gave it to Frank. He organized funerals for us and gave us new identities, but that never stuck because we used or real names. We kept the last name that Darren gave us to keep us safe from Frank."

"Christa needs to hear all of this. If she does, she'll change. I know it."

I shake my head. "That's not going to happen, Dex." Handing him my phone I say. "Give her the phone so she can hear what I said. When everything is done Dex. She's not allowed near us. If I see her I will kill her."

The door to the room opens and Mrs. Clarkson walks through the door with Faith.

Dad is behind her in his wheel chair. He wheels over to me and takes my hand. "What are we going to do with your sister?"

"Nothing, Daddy. I tried my best to make things easier for her, but it didn't work. Christa trying to kill me is the last resort. I want nothing to do with that girl again."

He hugs me. "She seemed stable when she was living with your mother and I. After you're Mom's death she changed and it wasn't for the better. She started getting obsessed with you and wanted to be like you. She did everything to be you, but at the end of the day she'd still be Christa. The girl that made a mistake after graduation."

I know. Sometimes, I wish she made better choices.