Chapter 16

I am hanging onto his arm as he is carrying our bags. Why I am blindfolded, I don't know. But, he insisted that I was. Instead of hanging around his house until leaving for the rehearsal, we are just going to the hotel and spending the weekend in Milwaukee. As I caught in a little trickle of conversation between Mom and Shane this morning, we are staying Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. But, if we were in the same hotel as Mom and everyone else, she didn't need to know how far away from the venue we, me and Shane, would be.

Shane has been a little quiet and reserved, but mostly nervous. Instead of me walking down the aisle with him, it was his ex, the blonde barracuda. Rehearsal is tonight, and I am allowed to tag along, says the soon to be sister-in-law that I am not too fond of now. From what I am guessing, it is a perfect opportunity for me to see Shane and this blonde bitch interlocking and showing off how they are apparently getting back together.

And Shane begged me to take his word for it, that he had no interest in getting back together with her. As for me, on the other hand ... he wasn't going to stop begging for me to just fall into his arms, hopelessly in love with him.

Now, I have been wearing this blindfold for about an hour now, all to show up at the Holiday Inn with everyone else. That was where Mom said the blocks of rooms were. She didn't know why Quinn didn't just set the wedding at the hotel, seeing how beautiful and more historic the place looked after the renovations last spring. But, that was not my business and it was making me turn even more sour toward my new legal binding sister who everyone said I would just love.

Love isn't the word I had for her right now. Nor Shane, for that matter, since I'm standing in the lobby, blinded, for what?

"Thank you, Mr. Bartholomew. I hope you two have a great weekend together, and if there is anything you need, don't be afraid to call down here." The friendly woman's voice sings and bounces off the walls of the vacant room.

"Have a good night." The soles of his sneakers squeak on the tiled flooring, and they are moving in the direction away from me.

"Mr. Bartholomew? Your wife." I can hear the receptionist smiling, but I can't be upset over it. She was just doing her job and greeting the customer.

"Right." His squeaking comes back and his hand cups mine to bring me to rest on his elbow. "I'm just kidding. Nervous, mostly."

"I understand, Shane. It's not every day that you get to walk down the aisle with your ex, who claims that you two are getting married next weekend." I laugh and lose the hold on his arm.

"I will leave you right here."

"I will take the blindfold off."

There is a moment of silence before he huffs something under his breath. "You better be thankful that you are so freaking hot right now."

Hot? Right now? Is he losing his mind? He was in a rush when he walked in Granny's that all I had time to put on was a tank top and a pair of jeans that I already wore once this week. As for clothing, I didn't have much to bring, and certainly didn't have anything to wear for the wedding now. But, he promised he had that all taken care of, and Mom backed him up.

"Take me to our double bedroom." I tip my chin up and hide my smirk and the satisfaction that I won that argument.

"Oh boy." He begins to lead me to a carpeted area, and I follow with no hesitation. I am with Shane, of all people, and he's never really led me down a dark alley before.

"Do you have my bag?" I finally question as we step through a doorway and the warm breeze brushes the open spots of my face.

"No. They are bringing it to the room already." His hand cups mine, the one that is holding his arm.