Chapter 4

The boys are all in the basement, and I am sitting by myself on the back porch overlooking the lower yard. The trees don't rustle or move. The air is still, just like my heart. Nothing will ever change the fact that I lost the child I carried for seven and a half months. Spilling the truth to Shane did make me feel better, but it isn't going to last long. The feeling of hope never did.

"I would really appreciate if you would keep the noise down over there." His voice travels over the humid air and taps me on the shoulder. I look over to see him on the porch next door, a beer in his hand and a red cooler at his feet.

"Stalk much?"

"Talk much?" He retorts before I can think of anything else to say.

"Don't you work in the morning?" That's a good comeback. He works where Mom does, though it's Friday night and he wouldn't have to work in the morning.

"I try to, but they don't let us work on Sundays. You know, the whole family and church thing that some people do. Kind of a day of rest."

"But, tomorrow is Saturday," I retort, sounding more bitter than I intend. But, it is Friday night and I am doing my usual—hiding outside and away from my family.

I rest back in the plastic lawn chair and suck in some air. It's humid, and my t-shirt and jean shorts are collecting every bit of moisture they can. Inside, the central air is on and it's crisp. The boys are all involved in the games, and Mom is catching up on her emails from taking the past three days off. Sitting out back and having a moment to myself is better than being inside and doing nothing.

"Touché." He stands and leans his arms on the wooden railing, his eyes casting over to me. "Why don't you just settle down over there before I have to call the local authorities to come and do it for me?"

I can't help but smile at the man wearing a black t-shirt and a pair of beige shorts that go down to his knees.

"At least come over and have an adult beverage. I feel kind of bad for you all over there, having all that fun by yourself, and I'm here, just wallowing in my self-pity because I have no friends."

I stay put. This guy may work with Mom and know my brothers, but I have no clue who he was. Though, he knows my secret and the others don't. There is just something about him that I can't stop myself from falling into. Charming? Yes; he is. Good looking? Very. Comforting? So much more than anyone I ever met.

Giving in, I stand and retreat down the staircase and into the back yard. I shuffle through the taller grass, knowing that Taylor needs to cut the grass, but he hadn't gotten to it before he left town to visit Joan's friends.

"That-a-girl. Keep coming," he calls from his deck, wearing a sly smile and those laser blues shooting over to me. "Keep falling into my trap."

Shaking my head, I bite back the smile and climb his staircase. "Why aren't you out on a Friday night?"

"I'm more interested to see why you aren't." Turning his back to the railing, he leans back, motioning to the wooden rocker in the corner. "Grab a beer and take a seat."

"If you are trying to get me drunk, it won't work." I do as he said and slip into the wooden chair. It embraces me, and the comfort settles in, robbing my pain.

"I have stronger stuff than beer for that. And I'm more into that after the sun goes down."

I pause before taking a drink of the cold bottle of beer and study him. Is he joking? No one would out-right say anything like that. Would they? I didn't go to college, but I heard about the date-rape happening. I'm not that naïve. As for too trusting...