Chapter 17

Sitting two rows behind the bridal party, I am falling asleep during the long service. Taylor and his wife keep looking at each other, and the blonde bimbo is making eyes at Shane. Shane, the only one in the actual wedding party, is looking back at me, every second he manages to.

Last night was the best night I ever had. We played in the pool for hours and then got out, dried off, and went to the rehearsal dinner. Of course, there was a little scene when Allison, the ex, tried kissing Shane, but he ducked and took cover, getting a laugh out of all the guys. Quinn wasn't too happy, but he was one who first laughed at the blonde with the fire red face.

During the dinner, I tucked in a corner table with Mom and her boyfriend, out of the way. Before the meal came, Quinn and the new sister-in-law handed out their thank you gifts. Shane was given a silver flask with his name engraved on it, and the girls were all given a pretty necklace to wear for the wedding. Strict orders coming from the bride.

As soon as the meal landed on the plates, we ate and fled the scene before anyone could stop us. For the rest of the night, we enjoyed the pool and the hot tub.

My head bobs, and I am jerked awake. I look up at Shane, who is trying not to laugh. Finally, the I Dos comes and we are released from the ceremony. I make my way through the receiving line and congratulate my brother and his new wife, who thanks me for kindly giving up my spot for her best friend. I bite my tongue and stop by the most handsome man wearing a black tux. His pink tie is loosened, and he is bored, daydreaming while people are trying to talk to him.

His eyes finally connect with mine, and a bright, electrifying smile spreads over his face. "You do look beautiful in that dress."

My dress is simple. A hunter green that is sleek and satin all the way down to the floor. The back opens in a teardrop that is glittery and decorated to catch an eye. Mom managed to find a bra that would work with the open back and the choker neckline. And, for once, I do feel pretty in the dress.

As for the massive amount of curls on top of my head, the beautician at a place mom had our hair done, created a look that wasn't that bad. After being tugged and pulled on for over an hour, the curls were contained in a stylish looser French twist with some curls escaping to add flair.

"You don't look too bad yourself." I pass him a flirtatious wave, and start to walk to my mom and her boyfriend.

"No, no, no. You come back here." Shane breaks the line and follows me to the front of the building. His hands slide around my waist and pulls me tight to his front. "Let's ditch this and go back to our room."

"No." I laugh, and pull away as Quinn is tugging Shane back to the bridal party.

We get through the photos, which I was only allowed in the ones that involved my family. Other than that, I watched the rest. And my new sister made an a point to get a lot of Shane and Allison together, because they made such a cute couple. Not one of the photos turned out, from what I snuck a peak at over the photographer's shoulder.

We made it to the reception and the place was pretty bland-beautiful. Modern, and mostly in white. I found the seat placard with my mom, and I was beside her. It didn't matter to me because I would be the one leaving with Shane anyway. To our beautiful room, might I add. Dinner wasn't as good as it looked, and for as expensive as it was. And I barely ate the fish plate that was served to me, instead of the chicken I marked. But, that was fine. I could survive. This wasn't my day. I was just a guest, and happy that Quinn was happy.

Or that he begins to fake through the dinner.

Afterward, the whole boring speeches came about, and finally, Blondie stood, drying her eyes with the corner of the white fabric napkin. For most of her babbling, I didn't even hear, until she pointed out the fact that she was excited to marry her best friend, Shane, and that they are as happy as the bride and groom were.

My chest tightens as Shane is handed over the mic and he stands, his eyes finding me in the crowd of onlookers.

"I have to say that I am happy that a good friend of mine is tying the knot with someone he is in love with. I can't be happier for him. He is a good man. Honest. Trustworthy. Respectable." He pauses and looks at me. "I have been brought into this family as one of their own. I just hope this marriage lasts, and that my brother, Quinn, gets what he wants. Happiness."

Quinn claps him on the back and thanks him. And they sit down. My brother is not happy about something, but it seems to be that Shane is pulling him back and calming him down. It isn't long after that the dinner is cleared up and the dance floor is opened. There is a band, playing covers of love songs and current hits.

The lead singer takes a moment to introduce the next song by telling people to grab hold of the ones they love and hold them tight. Shane runs across the room, almost knocking Allison over in the retreat. He slides along the floor and grabs my hand tightly. I follow him to the dance floor that isn't hardly filled at all yet, and the song begins. One of my favorites. 'Don't Wanna Miss a Thing' by Aerosmith. As Shane is singing along, he is staring into my eyes, and I know this is the man I want for the rest of my life.

This moment, I will cherish and never forget. This was now our song. And whenever I hear it, I will always think of the one person who managed to mend my broken heart and shattered world. Shane Bartholomew .