Chapter 12

It is getting darker, and Shane drives for about an hour. Finally, we arrive at a beautiful building that houses an indoor ice rink. I slip out of the passenger seat and follow Shane, who grabs a very large duffel bag from the bed of the truck, into the building.

"Hannah!" Quinn stands from the bench and walks over, wearing the black and white booted skates that I've seen on hockey games. He is a lot taller with the extra height, and I have to smile. Finally, he is really my big brother.

"Hey. I guess I am watching or something. I'm not sure yet. Shane told me that there are no cheerleaders." I shove my hands into the pockets of my hoodie that I was instructed to wear.

"What a guy! I'm happy that he didn't break the good news." My brother is walking over to a bench where a bag, much like the one Shane retrieved from the bed of the truck, is sitting with some equipment inside of it. He begins to search the bag until he finds something, and, instantly, his cheeks darken with the deep red. Turning his back to me, he jostles around until he finally gets his protection in place. "We are minus a player, so suit up, little girl."

I laugh and step through the bags and make it to the large windows where I can see the rink and about ten others skating around in their gear already. "This looks like fun."

"It's going to be a blast." Quinn grunts a little.

"We are already late. Get ready." Shane snaps his fingers and begins to separate the contents of the bag.

"Get ready for what?"

When I turn around, my brother and Shane are standing beside each other, their eyes on me. My heart picks up speed as I notice the size of the equipment Shane laid out. The items are smaller than what those are in the bag beside it.

"Come on, squirt. I will help suit you up while your boyfriend gets his ass in gear..." Quinn laughs. "Literally."

"Wait." I step over the bag and count the number of bags. There is an even number now. Including the one that I am apparently going to be using. "I can't skate that good."

"Can you stay up?"

Shane hunkers over his own gear and begins to shed the outer layer of clothing; jeans and his sweatshirt. Now, he is donning a pair of black nylon fitness leggings and a sporty t-shirt.

"I have ice skated before, but I never played hockey. I have no idea how to play or how to..." I could stay up on skates. Right? It has been years since I've been ice skating. But I could still do it. Right?

"Come on." Quinn pushes me down onto the bench and begins directing me in how to don the gear.

Once I am suited up and looking like a hockey player, my heart is running away from me and I am trying to suck in as many deep breaths as I can manage to get. But, it's still not enough. We are ready, and I follow Shane down the hall and into the arena where the guys are now hooting and hollering at us. Well, Quinn and Shane. They have no idea who I am. And right now, I have no idea who I am anymore. This is not me.

I am reserved. Scared of doing something that I could potentially die from. Never adventurous. Sitting home and relaxing is something I feel safe doing. Since Shane barged his way into my life, I have been doing plenty of things I never would think of doing. But, am I running away, or rejecting these ideas Shane has? NOT. ONE. I am following him. I am going right along with him. I am ... out of my mind.

Once I reach the ice, I am bombarded by the others. Before I know it, I am somehow gliding across the glass and I have no idea how in the hell to stop. Once I finally run out of steam, I stand still, my knees knocking together and my heart still pulverizing the walls of my chest and the soft tissues of my lungs. The others begin to lose interest in me, and I can hear them actually playing. And I will admit, listening to that puck being slapped around by the sticks, the guys calling out to each other and hitting the walls, is absolutely heavenly. I like it.