Tree hugging

Connie P.O.V

"I'm back guys!" I hear a mischievous and jovial voice say. I look up from the floor to see Adam. Everyone quickly rushes onto their feet, and crowd around Adam in the middle of camp.

"Guys, the trial was so awful! There were spiders mate!" Adam shouts enthusiastically. I look up at Joel as he looks down at me, and we just end sniggering to our self at the memory of the stranded trial.

"Yeah, but I only got 11 stars didn't I!" He exclaims, me, Sam and Carol running up and giving him a hug congratulations.

"Well done mate!" I say as he pulls me in for a tight hug. He does that man hand shake with the boys, as he gives Scarlett and Lisa a hug as well.

I sit back down by the fire, only realising now that Martin and Danny aren't around. They made up this morning, so I think that they are all good now. Or at least I hope they are. Lisa comes and sits beside me as we start our own little conversation too.

Danny appears through the clearing with a laminate. "Can Lisa and Wayne please leave to go and complete their dingo dollar challenge." He reads out.

Lisa gives me a tight hug as she quickly grabs her water bottle. She meets Wayne by the exit out of camp, and gives him a high five as Wayne follows behind her.

"Good luck guys!" I shout as they disappear.

"Thanks!" Wayne shouts back as they go out of sight.

I go up to the allotment as I wonder where Martin has gone. I treck past the dungy as I come up towards the ramp leading to it. Its really quite relaxing up there actually, the gnomes adding a creepy, but homely touch.

I spot Adam up there, looking perplexed and confused, and as I walk towards him, I see why.

"Do you get it?" Adam says to me, looking over towards Martin.

"No. No I don't." I reply just as confused as him.

Martin has his arms around the big tree, his face up against it as if it was the most comfortable thing ever. I never expected him to be a tree hugger!

"Adam, you have to try it!" Martin says, stepping to the side urging him on. Adam stands next to the tree, checking there's no one else around before wrapping his arms around it for 3 or 4 seconds.

"Nope, nothing Martin." He says pulling away quickly and coming to stand behind me.

"Connie, you try it." Martin urges me on.

"I'm good thanks!" I say, placing my butt in one of the deck chairs. I spot Adam running in back to camp that makes me laugh a little, as I know he didn't want to do that again.

I look over camp. It's actually really nice and homely, which is definitely not what I expected it to be.

"Hey, can I join you?" I hear an accent I instantly recognise over the top of my shoulder. Joel.

"Of course." I say smiling up at him. I see him look over to Martin as confused as I did as he looks back down at me.

"What is he doing?" Joel says as I look over to see it looks like Martin has fallen asleep.

"I have no idea." I comment as I look back over camp.

"I wanna try!" He exclaims like a 10 year old boy, wrapping his arms round the same tree.

"See-" Martin says. "-you just have to embrace it!" I look away from them and try to block out that they're there.

I see Scarlett and Sam walk up towards us into the allotment as they just shoot a weird look at Martin and Joel, and then towards me.