2.21. Meeting the Babysitter

"Honey, I'm home!"

I put down the soft fabric book I've been reading Evelyn and look up as the Joker springs out of the elevator.

It's been a week since I've seen him and he's acting like it's been a couple of hours.

And I'm so fucking mad about it I don't even want to let myself speak for fear of the words that'll come out.

He swings a large black and gold paper bag at me.

"I got you a present."

Great. I've just spent a week going crazy up here, terrified he's been killed or captured and that I've been left to rot. And he's giving me a present.

He tosses his purple alligator coat over a chair and crouches down next to me. I slide back into the corner where the two windows meet, his enthusiasm makes me nervous.

Cautiously, I look into the bag. There's a folded pile of white fabric in the bottom. Taking a breath I pull it out, half expecting it to blow up in my face. It doesn't.

Huh. A suit. He bought me a neat, figure hugging two piece suit with a short skirt.

At least I've got something to wear now other than his shirts.

"Thanks," I mutter, folding it back into the bag and turning my attention back to the baby. I'm not gonna give him the satisfaction of asking why he's giving me a suit.

"Aren't you gonna ask me why I got this for you?"

"You mean it's not just out of the goodness of your heart?" I ask dryly, gently putting Evelyn down onto a cushioned play mat.

I can't help smiling as his eyes open wide in wonder and he reaches out with his tiny starfish hands and grabs at the charms dangling above him.

J suddenly grins and waves his hands, I think he doesn't want me to know that he was watching Evelyn too.

"I thought it was about time we brought a smile back into that pretty face," he says, suddenly reaching out and trying to touch my cheek. "So I arranged a little shopping trip for you."

"A... shopping trip?" I shy away from his hand, ignoring the sick feeling I get in my throat being this close to the window causes.

He grins from ear to ear.

"And I got you a babysitter."

He snaps his fingers and the elevator door opens. I twist myself to see inside, but it turns out I don't need to. A second later and old lady almost flies out into the room, crying out as she hits the table and her twisted, swollen legs almost lose balance.

Despite myself I jump up, but before I have the chance to move tattoo man suddenly appears after her and roughly pulls her to her feet.

She catches sight of me and her eyes open wide with horror, she's silently screaming something at me. Something I know very well. She's begging me for help.

She's wearing an old fashioned coat, she's carrying a wicked shopping basket... they must have picked her off the street.

"Tell me, do you have any experience looking after children - I'm sorry I didn't catch your name," The Joker half bows half waves at her.

It's strange, only now that I see him next to someone so normal that I can truly see how... insane he is. It's not just his eyes, it's his whole body, the way he moves.

"Mary," her voice is barely audible. "I-I haven't got much, but you can have-"

"Tell me Mary, do you have any children or grandchildren perhaps?" She gets cut off mid sentence, the way she jumps your would think she's been slapped across the face.

"I have four grandchildren, but please-"

"Then you won't have any problems looking after this little bundle of joy, will you?"

Her eyes follow his arms down to Evelyn on the floor, now her fear is being replaced with confusion and incredulity.

"J, I don't need a babysitter, he can come with me," I tug anxiously at his sleeve.

"Oh now, you wouldn't want Mary redundant now, would you?"

He throws me a look. An unspoken explanation is passed between us. Evelyn is his insurance that I don't try anything, and this old woman is his way of telling me that he's not gonna hurt Evelyn. As ever, his insurance is stronger than mine, but it's all I've got.

"Okay," I bite my lip. I steel myself and turn to face the old woman. "His cot is in there, he's due a feed in an hour, there's formula in that black bag over there."

Tears start to well up in her eyes when she realises I'm not on her side.

It's not that I'm not on her side. I just can't help her.

I scoop up Evelyn and grudgingly take him over to her. I don't trust her, but only because I know what she's going through. And because I know what I would do if I was her right now.

"If you..." I mutter in her ear as I slide him into her arms, "so much as hurt one hair on my son's head, your grandchildren will feel the consequences. Got it?"

***
Hey! Sorry this chapter ends a little abruptly! Lots has been happening in my life this past week or so, but I promise the next chapter will be up super soon! Please let me know how tyou think the story is going, there are a few little twists coming up in the next few chapters!