7 - Late Night Conversations

Gravity - Against The Current
Can you save me now?
I get lost up in the clouds
Can you save me now?
You were my gravity
Can you save me now?
When the ground drops out I get lost in the clouds
Save me now?
You were my gravity
Now my world is shattering

A S H T O N
It was nearly one in the morning and I had just gotten back from songwriting with Calum. I was sitting at the kitchen island drinking a glass of cold water as I scrolled through my social media.

"Did you just get back?" Elizabeth's voice whispered as she shuffled into the kitchen with her tattered slippers. Her brown hair was thrown up in a messy bun and it tipped forward as she opened the fridge.

"Uhhh. I got back like fifteen minutes ago." I mumbled as I set my phone down on the counter.

My mother-in-law placed a yogurt on the island and pulled out a drawer and grabbed a spoon.

It was a little weird that I was living with Jordyn's parents but they were some of the kindest people I've ever met. They felt like family.

"So, are you gonna tell me why my daughter's arm is purple in blue or am I just gonna wonder for the rest of my life?" She questioned as she sat down next to me. I avoided eye contact as I felt the color drain from my face.

"Funny story."

"Is it really?" She asked as she ate a spoonful of yogurt.

"Not really."

"I figured. Give me the juicy details." Lizzie lightly punched me in the shoulder as she continued to shovel yogurt in her mouth.

"Let's just say she punched some trash really hard." I mumbled as I carefully chose my words.

"What kind of trash?" I sighed at her amount of questions.

"White trash." I rolled my eyes as my mother-in-law let out a snort.

"I would ask more questions but I can tell you really don't wanna talk to your dear old mother-in-law!" Lizzie gave me the side eye as she tossed her yogurt cup in the trash and her spoon in the sink.

"No, that's not it. I'm just tired. How was your day?" I sighed.

"Well, your future wife did not fit into her wedding gown. I thought there would at least be tears because we're so close to the wedding but no, no emotions whatsoever. The dress was practically falling off her and she didn't say a word." Lizzie informed me as she rested her head on her hand.

"It must be all of her nightmares that are reoccurring," I mumbled. Lizzie gave me an incredulous look.

"What reoccurring nightmares?" She questioned as she suddenly sat up straight.

"I mean I don't exactly know what they consist of but I'm assuming Cameron and Alice. She said she got them a lot after they died." Lizzie's shift in behavior suddenly made me feel nervous.

"She never had nightmares when they died, she stayed in my room for a full year and never woke up once during the night. I mean she did have severe depression, but she never had nightmares." Jordyn's mom had a worried look on her face.

Jordyn had lied to me.

"Are you sure?" I asked, not believing that Jordyn would lie to me.

"Ashton, I'm positive. Is that why she's been moody and not eating? Oh my God, I just thought she was nervous for the wedding. I'm her mother and I didn't do anything." Lizzie buried her face in her hands as she started to cry.

I sat there awkwardly as my mother-in-law was crying next to me.

I didn't know what to do so I just leaned over and hugged her.

"Oh Ashton," She cried.

"It's okay Lizzie, things will get better." This time I felt like I was the one who was lying, because honestly, right now it felt like everything was falling apart.

"Tomorrow it will be six years since my son was killed!" She wailed into my arms.

I had never seen Lizzie cry in the four and a half years I'd known her and my heart was breaking in this exact moment as she sobbed into my shirt.

I just rubbed her back and let her cry.

"You know," she sniffled as she sat up at looked at me. "Cameron would have loved you, you're a lot like him."

"I bet he was great." I smiled as she wiped her eyes.

"Ashton, I am so sorry. I usually do not get this emotional, it has just been a week!" She laughed through her tears as she patted me on the back and wandered back upstairs.

I frowned to myself as I got off the stool and grabbed my phone. I let out a sigh as I slowly walked up the stairs and entered my room.

Tomorrow was going to be a tough day for the Ellis household.

Author's Note:
I AM SO SO SO SORRY. I told you I was going to update on Tuesday & I totally didn't factor in my finals on Wednesday so I was studying for those & then I got home from school Wednesday & I didn't feel good all night. I know, excuses excuses & I'm so sorry.

This chapter is super short & I'm so sorry I needed to write this chapter but didn't know how to make it any longer. :(

OH AND WE REACHED 1K READS!! THANK YOU SO MUCH OMG! I LOVE YOU GUYS.

I will update on Saturday bc I have my Against The Current concert tomorrow (omg so lit) and I have a bunch of errands to run. So, talk to you all then!

ALL THE LOVE,
Jenna