23 - The Aftermath

Iris - The Goo Goo Dolls

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's meant to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming

Or the moment of truth in your lies

When everything feels like the movies

Yeah you bleed just to know you're alive

HERE'S THE MOMENT Y'ALL HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

A S H T O N

I was sprawled out on the ground as I stared up at the night sky; rain poured from the clouds and soaked my clothes and skin. I heard sirens in the distance. It was probably the police since we were already at the hospital.

I could barely breathe because something had knocked the wind out of me. There was a crushing weight on my chest. I had been too afraid to look this whole time.

I already knew what –who- it was.

My weight shifted to my elbows as I tried to sit up. It was painstakingly difficult because Alex Dawson's limp body rested on me.

I let out a cry as I pushed him off me, an excruciating pain shot through my right arm. His body dropped next to me as I fully sat up.

The first police car arrived to the scene. Two cops got out and drew their guns. My hands rose in the air. They slowly made their way to me, their guns still aimed at me. They passed Tanner's body and finally stopped at me.

"It looks like a murder- suicide," one of the officers mumbled to the other.

"H-help me, I please," I cried.

My clothing was drenched in blood, I had no idea whether I had been shot or if the bullet solely hit Alex.

I could feel my phone buzzing in my pocket, I knew it was Evelyn. I didn't dare to reach for my phone.

"What happened?" one of the officers asked.

I took a deep breath, something I hadn't been able to do for the past ten minutes.

"This guy," I said as I motioned to Tanner's body, "is wanted for a hit and run and he shot at me but h-he pushed me out of the way, so he got shot instead. Then, Tanner shot himself."

"He's dead." The officer who asked me the question said as he felt Alex's pulse.

Alex Dawson jumped in front of a gun for me, he died so I could live.

I was overcome with emotions as I began to sob. More police came and so did the fire department and paramedics.

I was swarmed and asked a million questions.

The only thing I responded with was, "let me see my fiancé."

"Sir, we need to get you inside to make sure you're okay," a paramedic said.

I shook my head.

"Please," I pleaded as I grabbed his arm, "let me see my fiancé and then you can do whatever you want. PLEASE."

"Sir-"

"She's been in a coma for THREE FUCKING WEEKS AND JUST WOKE UP. LET ME SEE HER."

The paramedic sighed as he helped me up. I looked away as they covered Tanner and Alex's bodies with sheets. The paramedic and a police officer took me inside the hospital and into the service elevator, all the way to Jordyn's floor.

I couldn't move my right arm so it laid limp at my side. There was a narrow mirror in the elevator. I looked terrifying. Blood splatter was all over my face and my shirt and pants were soaked with blood, I still didn't know if any of it was mine.

The door opened and a nurse was waiting for me with a blanket that she wrapped around me.

I made my way to her room.

"Ashton? Oh my God!" Calum screeched. He was standing outside of her room.

"I'm fine," I said as I pushed past him. I also pushed past Luke, Michael, Evelyn, and a nurse.

"Ashton!" Evelyn gasped.

"Holy fuck."

Elizabeth placed her hands on my cheeks.

"What happened? Are you okay?" She frantically asked. I nodded and shifted my gaze behind her.

She let go of me and moved out of the way.

There she was. The love of my life was in her bed, awake. Her brown hair was put in a makeshift bun and there was still a tube in her throat.

That was something that I never thought I would see again, her being awake.

Tears streamed down my face.

I noticed the tears begin to fall from hers too.

"Hi Jor," I cried. I knelt down at her bedside and kissed her hand.

Someone tapped on my shoulder.

"Ashton," Johnathan began, "she's not paralyzed."

I began to cry harder. I cried tears of joy.

My immense pain that I had felt for the past three weeks was instantly washed away.

"You're okay, I'm okay, we're okay. I love you Jor baby."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

ONE MORE CHAPTER + AN EPILOGUE. What would you like to see in an epilogue???

YES IRIS IS THE SONG AGAIN BECAUSE IT'S PERFECT FOR THEM AND THEY'RE BOTH OKAY AND REUNITED AND YES OMG THE FEELS