18 - Fading

Black Butterflies and Déjà Vu - The Maine
What, what would you say
If you could say
Everything you needed to
To the one you needed to?
You flash like a setting sun
You come around, I come undone
Can't find the sound under my tongue when I look at you
I lose my voice when I look at you
Can't make a noise though I'm trying to
Tell you all the right words
Waiting on the right words
Just another lovesick afternoon
Black butterflies and déjà vu
Hoping for the right words
Waiting for the right words

A S H T O N

I stood idly outside of Jor's hospital room. It had been eighteen days since the accident. Jordyn's condition hadn't improved; she was slowly fading away.

It was to the point where it didn't even feel real.

I fixed my t-shirt as I watched Jordyn's mom hold her hand. Elizabeth was saying something to her but I couldn't tell what she was saying.

I felt immense pain in my heart for Johnathan and Elizabeth. They had two wonderful kids, one was killed and the other was on the verge of death.

I couldn't even imagine the pain that they were feeling. Within the span of six years, everything was being taken away from them. Their beautiful and successful life that they had built together was being slowly ripped apart.

Somehow, they had kept it all together.

I slowly approached my mother-in-law, her head rose as I knocked lightly on the door.

"Come in Sweetheart," she said quietly. She sniffled a bit as she removed her sweater and bag from the other chair.

I sat down next to her.

"How are you?"

"I could be better, you?" I responded.

She shrugged her shoulders.

"Your wedding day is in four days. I can't believe it snuck up on us so quick." She laughed through tears. Her hands reached into her bag to grab a tissue for her nose.

"I know," I spoke quietly. I looked down at my crossed hands.

"I had to go pick up her wedding dress and your ring yesterday," she said. Her voice was unbelievably shaky.

I furrowed my brows as a tear fell onto my hand.

"I'm supposed to pick up my tux tonight, Luke said he would go for me." The words felt pained as they left my mouth. I spoke in a whisper because I feared that if I would speak any louder I would start sobbing.

Elizabeth's hand rubbed my back.

"Can I ask you something?" I turned my head so that we were making eye contact.

She nodded her head and smiled through tears.

"How are you getting through this? First it was Cameron and now- now it's Jordyn."

She looked at Jordyn for a long time before she responded.

"When you love something or someone that much, you hold on to them, you hold on to them for dear life until you're forced to let go. Even then, you'll still love them forever." She gave me a weak smile before she stood up. She leaned over her daughter and gave her a kiss on the forehead before she turned to me.

"I'm going to go grab a coffee," she said.

Elizabeth bent down and kissed the top of my head before exiting the room. I scooted forward in my chair and grabbed Jordyn's hand in mine.

The next words I spoke came from the bottom of my lovesick and pained heart.

"And always."

Author's Note:
YOU GUYS, I'M SICK AGAIN & I'M PRETTY SURE IT'S STREP ROUND TWO. I'm so mad it's not even funny, my FRICKING throat feels like it's on fIRE.

I hope you guys are healthy & not sick like me!

ALL THE LOVE,
Jenna

P.S.
PLEASE check out this chapter's song! It IS SO GOOD & The Maine is amazing. ;)