Twenty Six

Tiffany is smirking at us when we surface for breakfast in the morning. Even Anna has an amused twinkle in her eye as we shuffle into the kitchen, fully dressed.

“Morning.” Evan yawns, kissing his mum on the cheek and pouring himself a coffee.

His Mum greets him and Tiffany just smirks at him over the top of The Cosmopolitan. I slide sleepily onto the chair next to Evan, pulling his coffee to me before he can even take a sip.

“Enjoying my coffee, Lily?” Evan asks in amusement as I take a sip, wincing slightly at the bitter taste. Evan has it impossibly strong.

“Mine now.” I grin at him, clutching the mug between my hands.

Evan chuckles softly and pours a new cup, hoisting himself up on the coffee bar beside me. “So, Lily. Sleep well?” Tiffany asks conversationally, lowering her magazine and winking at me.

I raise my eyebrows at her and throw a helpless glance at Evan who looks just as bemused as I feel. Anna is shaking her head in exasperation and throwing me an apologetic look over her daughters shoulder. “Yes. Thank you?” I say slowly.

Tiffany smirks. “I was just saying to Mum. If we had neighbours, we wouldn't need to introduce my dear brother over there,”

Tiffany points at Evan, who now has his hands, unable to stop the embarrassment that is sure to befall me in moments. I freeze, the implications of Tiffany's words sinking in, before I am submerged into a deep, stinking pile of shame. The prickly heat creeps up my neck and dyes my face in what I am sure to be at least a cherry red.

“What?”

I almost drop the mug. “I mean they would already know his name. You saw to that.”

I bury my face in my hands, an embarrassed giggle slipping from out of my mouth. A loud slap and Tiffany's muttered ouch tells me that Anna has just given her a clip around the ear. “Leave her alone, you big bully!”

Tiffany squeals loudly and clutches her ear, which does look admittedly red. “Mum! Bloody hell, that hurt!” she whines, pouting.

Evan snorts. “Serves you right! Lily isn't used to you so tone it down, yeah?” Evan chastises, eyes heavy with amusement.

I lean gratefully into him. At times, I think I can catch him worriedly glancing at me, silently assessing my mood. But when I turn to look at him, he looks as cheerful as ever. I frown, clearly the conflict from last night is still unresolved. I still feel hurt at Evan telling Tiffany, but he did it for the right reasons, so who am I to judge him for it?

I reach under the table and squeeze his knee gently. He jumps slightly but then smiles at me. He mouths a quick “love you” at me before turning back to his sister.

My nerves twist at my stomach as Anna reveals that they will be having the extended family round for a buffet later that day. I have never been particularly great with meeting people, but the thought of meeting the rest of Evans family tears my insides to shreds. Things really are getting serious now. I catch Evan looking at me, possibly assessing my reaction so I turn and give him a shy smile. I'll be all right, as long as Evan stays by my side.

“Well I'm taking Lily for a walk around the creek, alone.” he adds when Tiffany opens her mouth.

She snaps it shut, looking faintly disappointed but buries her face back in her magazine. He takes my hand and leads me out of the room, after Anna insists on hugging both of us so tightly that I fear our heads may just pop off.

“Evan...” I say slowly as we walk along the lane, hand in hand. “what are the rest of your family like?”

Evan hesitates for just a moment before squeezing my hand reassuringly. “They're all right for the most part. There are some people I want you to keep away from, my Uncle John mostly, he's... Well you'll see. They're all a bit of a crazy bunch, but you'll like them. He reassures me as we step into the creek. I am instantly taken back to Christmas Eve, back when Evan told Tiffany my darkest secret and I thought that my heart just might break. Evan must remember the same event for he looks to be silently cursing himself.