seventeen: past

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

| michael’s pov |

My heart began to beat fast from what he had just said. Ashton and Belle had a past? 

I was getting the hint before, but hearing it now, things were starting to become clear.

I haven’t thought of them as anything more than friends, but I had to admit– there was something weird going on between them.

They were never sure of what to call their relationship. They were a bit too strange, whenever I asked about the other.

But what exactly were they?

“You know,” he started, placing his hand on my back and giving it a hard pat. Ashton didn’t seem to notice me wince from pain. 

As much as I wanted to hit him back, I didn’t. I needed him to tell me what I wanted to know.

“Belle’s a nice girl, no doubt,” he said, his words becoming incoherent, but I tried my best to understand him.

“I know,” I muttered, letting my gaze stay on the floor. 

I was nervous to find out, but at the same time, the suspense was killing me. The way he’s beginning his ‘story’ was suspicious– like he was defending her, and himself.

When he didn’t continue, I coughed loudly. “And then?”

I found him staring at his carpet, as if he was in a trance. He was smiling like an idiot, and it was getting on my nerves. I can’t believe he’s being distracted.

“Ashton,” I called, my voice stern.

He looked at me, waving a hand in the air. “Sorry,” he answered, his eyes slowly closing. 

I shook him, displeasure getting the best of me. Now, he’s going to fall asleep. What next?

“She loves me,” he garbled, slumping down, to lie on the floor. “But,” he yawned, rolling over. “I don’t love her.”

And even though I, somehow, knew that, it was still able to knock me down. It was different, finally having affirmation to something I didn’t want to be true.

But what can I do? I couldn’t have everything happen the way I wanted to.

I tapped Ashton’s arm over and over again, until he grumbled.

“What else?” I asked, hoping he’d say nothing.

“No… commitment.”