twenty-nine: attention

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE:

| michael’s pov |

It took her a while before she could finally speak without pausing; at times like these, I wish I had a car. But of course I didn’t have one– I wasn’t rich.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized, rubbing her back, trying to relieve her of exhaustion.

She waved it off, laughing a bit. “I’m fine, Michael. Just a bit tired, that’s all.”

That only made me guiltier. The fact that she was tired was because of me; so much for a brilliant first date. 

Belle seemed to notice the off look on my face, so she squeezed my other hand, comfortingly. “Don’t be sad; I’m happy, see?” She pointed at the bright smile on her face, which I couldn’t tell if it was fake.

I looked sullenly at her, still not buying it. Actually I was buying it, but the way she looked at me– the way she was worried about me made me feel like I was on cloud nine.

I wanted her attention– that’s why.

And even though I wasn’t this kind of person, it felt so nice to have her hold my hand and to look at me like that.

“Michael, cheer up, please?” She whined, her bottom lip forward. Her hands were on mine and just– what even. 

Oh, fuck, my hormones were acting up.

“Pretty please? I’ll hug you really tight if you don’t!” She threatened, though it wasn’t much of a threat to me.

I didn’t answer, and before I knew it, her arms were wrapped around me. With her small frame, it was hard to envelope me in a big hug. But it felt nice– so nice.

“Um, miss? Sir?” The employee looked at us uncomfortably, and I found myself blushing.

Belle coughed, pulling away and facing the guy. “Yes?”

“Here are your shoes.” He placed them on the counter and turned away quickly, scared that he was ruining a moment. He was, but it wasn’t like we were together. I mean, why would we even be together? There was no way she’d date me.

I stood there, motionless, not knowing if I should speak up to clarify things, or just let them be. 

I felt a poke on my cheek and found Belle beaming at me.

“I’m so going to dominate you in bowling, Clifford.”