twenty-three: cute

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE:

| michael’s pov |

I laid out the cloth on the grass, smoothing out the folds and placing the basket we had on it. Belle smiled at me, and I smiled back at her. 

This time, Ashton wasn’t with us. I didn’t want to sound mean, because he was my friend, but I was glad he couldn’t come. He was so inconsiderate and loud sometimes, that I couldn’t really enjoy the time the three of us spent together.

Sitting down, I closed my eyes from the light of the sun. I had to admit– I wasn’t fond of staying outside for a long time. One reason was the fact I could die from heat.

The sun was blocked, and I opened my eyes, finding Belle standing in front of me. Her hands were behind her back as she looked down at me.

“Don’t you want to sit down?” I ask, pointing at the space beside me.

She moved her head up and down. “I do, but the sun’s too bright, isn’t it?”

“Actually, yeah,” I agreed. “But why are you standing there?”

“I’m blocking the sun, so you wouldn’t have to close your eyes,” she replied, laughing. “You look cute when you do that, though.”

My cheeks, albeit, turned red from her comment. It sucked that she still had this effect on me; I had all the time in the world to push that thought away.

“O-oh,” she stuttered, placing a hand on her mouth. “S-sorry, I’m so tactless.”

I shook my head, rubbing my cheek, thinking it would erase the blush on it. “It’s fine. I was just surprised and all.”

Belle tilted her head, as I took a deep breath. I really couldn’t get enough of her; every little thing she does makes my heart beat fast. “Why’s that?”

I shrugged, trying to hide the fact that I was watching her intently. “No one tells me that.” 

“Well,” she started, holding out a hand, which I took. “Michael, you are cute.”

“Um… I… Thank you?” I mumbled, averting my gaze to something else. She should stop saying these things; I might change my mind.

“Even if you don’t think so, I think you deserve to be complimented; you’re an amazing guy.” She giggled, squeezing my hand. “And I, Belle, will be one of the first people to let you know that.”