twenty-one: sure

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE:

| michael’s pov |

I tried to pull his arms away from me; I didn’t need his hug. It wasn’t like I was going through something so painful.

I could bear it; I always could.

This was for the sake of our friendship. 

“I was worried you were angry at me,” Ashton confessed, finally letting go of me.

I still was, but I would be a bad friend if I told him that, right? “I just needed to be alone for a while.”

He didn’t seem surprised; it looked like he expected that. “I see,” he said, nodding. “But I have something to tell you– it’s going to make you happy, I swear.”

Having a feeling I know who it was going to be about, I let him continue, anyway. “Go on.”

“Belle wants to go out with you!” He exclaimed, smiling proudly at me. He looked genuinely happy about what he just said; only confirming what he admitted when he was drunk.

Ashton didn’t really love Belle.

I rake a hand through my hair, acting nervous. “Why?”

“Because she likes you,” he nonchalantly replied.

If only I didn’t visit you that day, I’d wholeheartedly trust you. I’d believe in every word you say. 

But I was there. I know better.

“So? What do you say?” He asks, his eyebrows rising, suggestively. He had the most annoying smile I’ve ever seen, and this was coming from someone who actually liked his smile.

I bit my tongue, in an attempt to shut myself up from insulting him and telling him how I was really angry.

It was a stupid idea to talk to him.

I needed more time to forget about the whole thing. But I’m here, and there’s nothing I can really do about it.

Though I didn’t want to respond, I forced an answer to come out of my mouth.

“Sure.”