Chapter 22

Meredith

My eyes open adjusting to the light of the cars, I then realize i'm upside down, I then remember what happened. I start to panic and I turn to see Alex's seat but no Alex, I look forward and all the glass from the windshield is broken. 

I turn to look back remembering the kids and my hearing all of a sudden kicks in, the kids are all crying and screaming. 

"Guys, you can hear me right?" I ask them trying to be heard over the screaming and they nod their heads besides Ellis who looks as if shes sleeping peacefully. "Addy will you do me a favor? I need you to be a doctor for me okay?" I asked "Like you and Daddy?" she asked sniffling and I smiled and nodded trying to keep calm.

"Okay put two fingers on Ellis's wrist and try to feel her pulse, remember the beeping thing to tell if you're alive?" she did "I..I..I feel it but it's slow." "How slow?" I ask "Really, really slow." she said worry in her eyes. "Okay keep your fingers there okay?" I tell her and she nods, tears falling out of her eyes.

I try to unbuckle my seat belt but I cant, its stuck. "Alex!" I scream over and over again but no response. "Is my daddy okay?" I heard Addy ask "I'm sure honey." "Mommy, I'm scared." Bailey said "I know sweet heart, but hold on to Zola's hand okay? Mommys going to get out of here and get all of us out here." I told him. 

Zola gave him a small smile and grabbed his hand. I kept trying my seat belt but it just wouldn't budge and I started to freak out because I needed to get everyone out of this car. "Aunty Mer." Addy called and I turned around "The beeping is getting slower!" she started to freak out "It's okay everythings going to be okay." I said trying to be calm.

"If everything is going to be alright why are you crying mommy?" Zola asked I felt my face just realizing now that I was crying "I don't know baby." I said giving her a smile I then turned back and tried to think of how I could get out.

Okay Meredith breathe, what can get you out to save your family? I looked around and then I realized what I could do. I reached forward to grab some glass and then I accidentally cut myself, I wanted to scream but I didn't want to freak the kids out so I just kept going.

I used the glass to cut myself free and I fell on the roof of the car I hit my head so hard that I had to lay there for a minute so I could get up. I finally got up and went to the door but it wouldn't open, all the others were the same so I had to think. 

I then crawled out of the windshield to try to open the door from the outside but it wouldn't budge. I crawled back in the car and went to the back with the kids. 

"Okay were going to go one at a time through the windshield, I'm going to help you so you don't get cut. I'm going to start with Addy first." I helped unbuckled her seat belt and caught her so she didn't hit but she started to whimper "I hurt." she cried "Where?" I asked her cradling her "Everywhere." "Okay were going to get help." I held her as i crawled out cutting my knees.

I got her out and set her on the ground laying down "Stay here, Don't move." I told her and went back in, I got Bailey and Zola out both of them saying something hurt but I had to focus on Ellis right now.

I climbed back in and checked her pulse, I couldn't feel it. I started to search everywhere double checking, triple checking, but it didn't matter.

My baby girls heart wasn't beating anymore.