Chapter 11

As I slowly regain consciousness, the harsh brightness of the hospital room attacks my senses. Confusion clouds my mind until I realize where I am. Panic sets in, and I feel a strong grip around my hand, grounding me in the reality of the situation.

The sound of my mother's voice choked with tears, breaks through the haze. Her words hit me like a gut punch, asking why I didn't tell her about the pregnancy. The guilt washes over me, and I struggle to find the right words. "I... I was scared," I manage to choke out, my voice trembling. "I'm so sorry."

My mom's arms envelop me, providing a much-needed source of comfort in this moment of vulnerability. "It's okay, baby," she whispers, her voice filled with a mix of sadness and reassurance. "It's all going to be okay. I'll be with you every step of the way."

I can't help but be surprised by her response. I expected anger, disappointment, and maybe even a lecture about responsibility. But instead, I find understanding and unconditional love. I look into her tear-filled eyes, grateful for her presence in this difficult moment. "You're not mad?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper.

A fresh wave of tears fills her eyes, and she shakes her head. "No, I'm not mad," she says, her voice filled with deep sadness. "I just wanted better for you. I didn't want to watch you struggle as a teen mother like I did."

The weight of her words hangs in the air, and I find myself unable to meet her gaze. Guilt and regret consume me, knowing that I've disappointed her. But before I can dwell on it further, she reveals another surprising piece of news. "Greyson is outside, in the waiting room," she says softly.

My heart skips a beat at the mention of his name. Greyson, the father of my unborn child, is the one I thought would never want to be involved but he has surprised me with the amount of support he's shown. The fact that he's here fills me with a mix of disbelief and hope. "He's here?" I ask, my voice filled with shock.

My mom's nod and smile send a surge of suspense through me as she leaves the room. And just like that, Greyson steps through the door, his presence overwhelming yet comforting. I manage a weak smile, unsure of what to expect.

But then, without warning, he leans in and kisses me. It was unlike anything we've shared. It's not fueled by alcohol or recklessness; instead, it's tender and deliberate. His hands cradle my face gently as if I'm the most fragile thing in the world. I'm taken aback by the tenderness and depth of emotion behind his actions. It's the first time he's kissed me since that night at Jared's party, and I find myself staring at him in disbelief.

When he finally pulls away, a smile graces his lips, but his eyes betray his worry. "I'm sorry. I've been worried sick," he confesses, his voice laced with concern.

I can only nod, speechless and overwhelmed by the flood of emotions coursing through me. "Is our baby okay?" I whisper, my voice filled with fear.

His gaze softens, his concern etched into every line of his face. "The baby is fine," he assures me, his voice filled with relief. "We talked to the doctor, and he mentioned that you haven't been eating."

His concerned stare pierces through me, reminding me of the neglect I've subjected myself and our unborn child to. Guilt washes over me once again, but this time, it's accompanied by a new sense of responsibility. I know that from this moment forward, I must prioritize my health and the well-being of our baby.

"I just can't hold anything down," I confess to him, my voice heavy with frustration. "I always feel like I'm going to puke, especially around food. It's been happening a lot lately."

"We're going to have to find something you can eat. Or something to help you eat," he says, his eyes filled with concern. "I have an idea. Why don't you stay the night at my house tonight?"

I'm taken back by his suggestion. "My mom would never go for it," I reply, my voice tinged with doubt.

"What are we going to do? Have sex and get pregnant?" he says, a teasing smile playing on his lips.

We both burst into laughter, realizing the absurdity of the situation. "I can ask her. She lets me stay the night with Alex all the time," I suggest, hoping my mom would be open to the idea.

As I mention Alex, I notice a flicker of jealousy in Greyson's eyes. "Do you still stay the night over there?" he asks his voice tight with unease.

"Not since the day I found out I was pregnant. But even if I did, that's my choice," I retort, feeling a surge of independence. "And it's not like you and I are together. You're not my boyfriend."

He seems on the verge of arguing, but we're interrupted by a knock on the door. My mom enters the room, accompanied by a female doctor. Greyson instinctively takes my hand in his, offering support and dropping whatever argument he was about to start.

"Hello, Mercedes. I'm Dr. Martin," the doctor introduces herself. "I just wanted to let you know that you and the baby are both fine, but you do need to try eating more. Do you have bad morning sickness?"

I nod, grateful for the medical confirmation. "Usually, it's bad. Sometimes it's not, but food in general makes me sick. Unless it's McDonald's French fries," I admit with a small smile.

"We could prescribe a pill for your morning sickness. It's called Zofran," Dr. Martin suggests, her voice gentle and reassuring.

My anxiety spikes at the thought of taking pills. "I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that. Can I think it over?"

"Of course! It's completely safe to take while pregnant. Also, you will need to find an OBGYN and start taking prenatal vitamins immediately. I'm sure your mother will help you with all that," she says, turning to my mom.

"Of course!" my mom responds, her voice filled with determination.

Dr. Martin then smiles at me. "We did an ultrasound when you were passed out to check on the baby. Would you like to know the sex?"

I glance at Greyson, who smiles at me, his grip on my hand tightening. "I want to know if you want to know," he says softly.

I nod at the doctor, my heart pounding with anticipation.

"Congratulations, it looks like you will be having a baby boy!" Dr. Martin announces, her smile infectious. The reality of becoming a mother to a son starts to sink in, and I can't help but imagine the life that awaits us. Each passing day brings me closer to the realization of this new chapter in my life.