Chapter 16

*Ann's point of view*

      I got into a cab and took a big sigh. Dan had just asked me on a date. I was going on a date with Dan freaking Howell.

      When I got home, my father was in the living room. "Where have you been all day?" he asked angrily.

      "I've been with a friend," I tried to conceal any sign that I like this said friend.

      "Annabel, you don't have any friends, so where were you?"

      "I was with my friend. I don't know why that is so hard for you to believe," I replied sort of annoyed.

      "Don't you get an attitude with me. I am your father."

      "You might be my father, but you're not my dad." I started to walk away.

      He grabbed my arm, stopping me dead in my tracks. "We are not done here."

      I tried to shake him off. "Get your hands off me."

      "We're done when I say we're done." His grip tightened so much that it would leave a mark.

      "Stop... please. You're hurting me."

      "Does it look like I fucking care? All you've ever done is been an ungrateful little bitch."

      "Please..." Tears started welling up in my eyes.

      He slapped me. "Stop your crying."

      I bit back my tears.

      "Now go to your room. I don't want to see you till I leave for work."

      I walked away quickly and ran up the stairs. I slammed the door behind me and busted into tears.

      I looked down at where he grabbed my arm. It was bright red. His nails had dug into my skin so deep that blood started to flow. It wasn't anything that a band-aid and a jacket couldn't fix.

      I crossed over to my mirror and started myself in the face. My eyes were puffy from all that crying. I was still crying. There was a hand print where he had slapped me. I'm sure some concealer could fix it.

      I put on a red dress with a black jean jacket. I slipped on some converse and applied enough makeup to hide any sign of my father hitting me and me crying.

      I heard my father leave for work and sighed. I looked down at my phone to see that Dan was here. I quickly pulled my hair into a bun and smiled. I told myself that it would be okay if I just forgot about everything that just happened and focused on my date.

      I ran down the stairs and opened the front door to see Dan there.

      "You look beautiful, Ann. You ready to go?"

      "Yeah." I smiled.

      "Then let's go." He grabbed my hand, and we went on our little London adventure.