Chapter 2

Alexander sat straight up looking ready for this meeting. I mean he has been talking about it for months. It's kind of funny. Then I saw the look on Thomas' face. This will be interesting.

"The issue on the table, Secretary Hamilton's plan to assume state debts and establish a national bank. Secretary Jefferson, you have the floor sir." my father said then Jefferson began speaking.

"Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We fought for these ideals, we shouldn't settle for less. These are wise words, enterprising men quote 'em. Don't act surprised, you guys, cause I wrote 'em" Thomas said and almost right away Alexander was fuming,"But Hamilton forgets. His plan would have the government assume state's debts. Now, place your bets as to who that benefits. The very seat of government where Hamilton sits"

"Not true!" Hamilton stood up from his seat and then sits right back down when my dad gave him a glare.

"If New York's in debt, Why should Virginia bear it? Uh! Our debts are paid, I'm afraid. Don't tax the South cause we got it made in the shade. In Virginia we plant seeds in the ground. We create. You just wanna move our money around. This financial plan is an outrageous demand, And it's too many damn pages for any man to understand. Stand with me in the land of the free. And pray to God we never see Hamilton's candidacy. Look, when Britain taxed our tea, we got frisky. Imagine what's gonna happen when you try to tax our whisky." Jefferson finished looking straight at me as he took his seat again.

"Thank you secretary Jefferson. Secretary Hamilton, your response."

"Thomas. That was a real nice declaration. Welcome to the present, we're running a real nation. Would you like to join us, or stay mellow, Doing whatever the hell it is you do in Monticello? If we assume the debts, the union gets. A new line of credit, a financial diuretic How do you not get it? If we're aggressive and competitive. The union gets a boost. You'd rather give it a sedative?" Hamilton said as Jefferson rolled his eyes,"A civics lesson from a slaver. Hey neighbor. Your debts are paid cause you don't pay for labor, "We plant seeds in the South. We create." Yeah, keep ranting. We know who's really doing the planting."

Everyone was taken aback from the last statement and Jefferson was livid, but of course Hamilton wasn't done yet.

"And another thing, Mr. Age of Enlightenment. Don't lecture me about the war, you didn't fight in it. You think I'm frightened of you, man? We almost died in the trench. While you were off getting high with the French." Alex said and I gasped trying to not laugh at his remark. I hope no one noticed, especially my dad. I'd never hear the end of it.

"Thomas Jefferson, always hesitant with the President. Reticent-there isn't a plan he doesn't jettison. Madison, you're mad as a hatter, son, take your medicine. Damn, you're in worse shape than the national debt is in. Sitting there useless as two shits. Hey, turn around, bend over, I'll show you where my shoe fits." Hamilton finished right in Jefferson's face. It looked as if a fight were about to break out.

"Excuse me?!" My father interrupted just in time as Thomas had his hand going into a fist,"Madison, Jefferson, take a walk! Hamilton, take a walk! We'll reconvene after a brief recess. Hamilton!"

"Sir." Alex replied.

"A word." Hamilton nodded following him. Before they went to far Madison and Jefferson walked up to Hamilton saying something I couldn't quite hear. Although it did look like Jefferson was laughing at one point. I smiled at the sight.

"Y/N." I turned to see Hamilton,"We're leaving soon. What were you looking at? You haven't stopped staring for awhile. Are you okay?"

"Oh. Yeah. Let's just get out of here." I said. Alex just nodded and lead my out of the building.

·-·

Yay! I updated! I've been having a hard time.

I'd just like to thank all of you and especially liberiangirl87 cause she's always there.