Chapter 10

It's been two days since the fight with Bretton, and my heart was aching. I was mad at him- of course, he deserves to not have my tears. He was so rude, saying I wasn't a good Luna. So, I've been ignoring him, whenever I left the room, I would avoid him, but it was pretty easy since he was always cooped up in his office. I wonder if he was trying to avoid me too..

Sometimes I wish he would just jump in front of me and go down on his knees and beg me to forgive him, but he has too much pride, and he wouldn't want to ruin the precious ego he has worked so hard on. Wouldn't want it to shatter just because of some girl he met five weeks ago.

But since... we were mates, would it matter that his ego was destroyed by an anti-social freak? Would he try to reason with me, because of the bond, or has he given up on us?

Us.

Oh how I miss it.

With an angry yell, I tossed off my comforter- more like Bretton's comforter- and jumped off the bed to head to the kitchen. I had tried to ignore my hunger since this morning, but since it was almost 3'clock, I guess I wouldn't want to starve myself.

I hadn't really seen much of my boy friends. I would see an occasional Braxton, or Chad, even Jake and the rest of my gang. I guess Bretton told them to ignore me, because they'd scurry off when I tried to make conversation. In the pack house, I felt just as lonely as I was in school- or at home.

I had no one to talk too, not even my own mate. The one that's supposed to always be there for you.

Stupid, Lea! I need to stop thinking like this or I'll break down and cry again. Deep breaths, and let's do this. The head that spoke in my mind was more brave than me.

I gripped the the handle tightly in my hand, and slowly turned it to open it, revealing the empty hallway. Slowly getting out, I climbed down the stairs, and sneaked into the kitchen, listening to see if anyone was in there. And of course, there was.

"I can't do this anymore." Bretton muttered. Do what?

"Oh come on, she deserves to be mad at you, you freaking embarrassed her, and yelled at her how 'she's not a good Luna' in front of twenty-nine people in the pack!" Chad yelled. "She's new to this!"

I really wanted to stop eavesdropping, but I decided to anyway, though it didn't feel right.

"I know." Bretton growled, why was he mad? He shouldn't be. I folded my arms against my chest. "I was just- I-" He groaned. "I don't know why I did what I did, I guess I was just caught in the moment."

"Caught in the moment?" Braxtion laughed, but there was no humour in it. "If you ask me, she was pretty awesome out there, all powerful, and how she yelled at Eathen! His face was priceless!"

"You thought it was awesome because one, she's your friend who is the Luna and you'd side with her, two, you hate Eathen, three, it was your position on the line!" Bretton growled, and I widened my eyes in suprise. How dare he say that! It took all of my self control not to go in there and beat him to a pulp, but I bet I wasn't even strong enough. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I- I'm just upset." Bretton said quickly after, realizing what he said was wrong.

"It's okay, I know you're going through a rough time." I heard Braxton say kindly. "And, hey, Lea, you can come out now."

How do they always know I'm here? Gah! "No. I'd much rather go up to my room, thank you very much." Whipping around before they could see me, I stormed up the stairs, forgetting my hunger.

I felt someone grab my wrist, and the familiar tingles erupted on my skin. "Let go of me, Bretton!" I turned around to face him. "If you couldn't tell, I'm mad at you!"