Chapter 26

I was slumped on a stool, leaning against the island counter. I wasn't in the mood to do anything. My cereal was now soggy from sitting in the milk too long and I was just stirring my spoon around in the bowl. 

Seconds later I push the bowl away from me roughly, sending the bowl and the contents in it crashing to the ground. I groaned, cleaning it up. I wish I could make Phione heal as quickly as it was for me to clean up the cereal and milk.

Phione was all I was thinking about since I visited her at the hospital yesterday. It had surprised me and the doctors that none of her wounds healed, considering she's a werewolf and all. She hadn't gotten to the hospital on time and she had been internally bleeding for too long, the pack doctors told me.

Another thing that made me think it was all my fault. 

Someone hugged me from behind, and I knew who it was by the tingles that  erupted on my skin. I leaned into him, enjoying his company. "You seem troubled. Just let Phione go for a day, she'll get better." Bretton kissed my temple, pulling me closer. I knew he knew that she wasn't going to get better. Everyone knew, they just didn't want to except it. "And stressing about her won't help anything."

I sighed. "I know. It's just..." I didn't know what to say. I had nothing to say.

"We should go out today. With the girls. Get your mind off of everything." Bretton suggested. But he wouldn't have let me choose anyways.

"Okay." I said. I pulled away from his grasp so I could lean up on my tip toes to kiss him. 

I couldn't let it get too heated because we were going out today. "Where do you think  we should go to?" I asked, pulling away. 

"We should let the girls decide." Bretton said, chuckling. 

***

"Come on!" Tina whined.

The girls decided to bring me to an indoor ice skating rink. How fun is that? The only bad part is that this is my first time. I never had real time to actually go out and do it. "What if I break a bone?" I asked.

"Bretton will save you! He'll be by your side the whole time." Sally assured me, whilst Bretton came gliding in front of me. He held his hands out for me to take, and I grabbed hold of them tightly.

Bretton started to skate backwards, still holding onto me and I stared in awe. He was so graceful on the ice. I was okay for a good while, until he started to turn. I widened my eyes as my legs started to spread apart.

"Move your legs closer together." Bretton said calmly. I was too panicked, I didn't try to do anything, so I fell down onto the ice. 

I sat down on my butt, frowning. Ice skating sucked.

"Come on, grab my hands. It's your first time so don't stress." Bretton had a wide grin on his face, and I wanted to smack it off. Or kiss it off.

I grabbed hold of his outstretched hands and I tried again. And again. And again. In the past half hour or so, I fell more than ten times to the point where I just stopped counting. 

Bretton had let go of my hands, and I was gliding smoothly across the ice. The  girls were enjoying there selves a few meters away, doing tricks on the ice I couldn't possibly do in a hundred years. 

Moving my feet like I was instructed, I was starting to get the hang of it. 

I had to turn a corner, and I hadn't been taught to turn so I was going forward. Trying to turn my feet, I ended up getting the tip of the blade of the ice skate into the ice and I fell forward. "Bretton!" I whined as he glided forward. Show off.

"You were doing great!" He said, and I crossed my arms across my chest. 

I get up, brushing my butt. "Can we go and eat something?" I asked.

"Sure. Let's get the girls." Bretton grabbed my hand and we slowly went over to them. 

"Hate to break it to you guys, but we're going!" I said to them. They groaned, but they didn't put up more of a fight than that. "We're going to go grab something to eat."

"Well at least we're leaving to go eat something!" Carly exclaimed, and we all laughed.  

***

We pulled up to one of my favorite places of all time, Pizza Hut. Okay, it may be a pretty unusual place to be your favorite pizza place, but it was just so good. 

We all ordered our food after taking a seat in one of the booths. It was fairly busy, but not overflowing with bodies.

Bretton pulled me close, wrapping his arm around my waist. I closed my eyes, leaning my head against his shoulder. Today has been fairly good. I let my stress go, and I felt amazing being out of all of it. "Our food is here." He whispered, and I sighed.

I ate the food, and the group and I chatted, and laughed.

It was dark when we left the restaurant. We piled into the vehicle, and Bretton drove. 

We were about to pull into the driveway when Bretton abruptly stopped the car, and the seat belt slammed against my chest. I looked at him fearfully. His face displayed a look of horror, and sadness.

Bretton pulled out of the driveway and flew down the road.

I was in so much confusion until we stopped in front of the hospital.

***

"Jake!" I screamed, running down the hall. He was standing by Phione's door, a dark expression on his face. "What's going on?" 

He looked up at me, and that's when I realized he had silent tears running down his face.

My body sagged. "It's... Phione.. isn't it?" I asked softly, my voice shaking. Jake just stood there, looking at me. "What? Answer me!" He stood there. I couldn't read his thoughts! "Answer me, god dammit!" Bretton pulled me into his arms.

"Phione passed." Bretton said into my ear, and I heard the girl's loud wails erupt when the words left his mouth. 

I wasn't able to cry. All of my tears were gone.

***

I sat next to Bretton in the hospital's waiting room. People were seated in the seats, some on their phones, others getting up to get a small cup of water from the watering fountain. We both sat an inch from each other, hands in our laps, and our heads faced to the hallway where the doctor should soon enter. The girls left to go tell their families, and friends. I would have left to, but I felt like I owed this to Phione.

The doctor entered the room and motioned his hand for us to follow him.

We got up simultaneously. The doctor walked down the hallway quickly, and when we turned right down the hallway, we entered a small room with a table and chairs.

The doctor motioned for us to sit, but Bretton and I stayed standing. 

"I'm guessing you already know what happened." The doctor said. "The reason was because we weren't able to stop her internal bleeding."

Bretton nodded. 

"I am so very sorry," the doctor said, looking at us pitifully. It wasn't his fault she had internal bleeding and died. It was mine.

I growled. "We don't need your pity. We will be off." I turned around quickly.

I hate hospitals. 

**********

Very depressing. Yes.

Two more chap chaps left!!!

ANOTHER THANK YOU FOR 1000 READS!! YES!!!

~Feather