Spiders

Michael is working from home today so were both sat outside enjoying this beautiful day. I was happily sat there drawing up some rough sketches for work when a red spider decides to pop up and walk around in between my pencils.

Of course my immediate reaction is to scream and squash it which is exactly what I did.

"What's wrong?" Michael asks

"Red spider"

"Where?"

"There" I say pointing at the no longer red spider

"You killed it"

"Of course I did"

"That's murder"

"Don't be so stupid Michael. Not like I'm gonna go to prison"

"That was a living thing, he wasn't doing any harm"

"He's red, that's a bad type of spider"

"He might of actually been a she for your information. The spider might of had a family to get to"

"I don't care, anyway the spider is dead now it's too late"

"How can you not care of the crime you just committed!"

"I didn't commit any crime! I don't like spiders especially red ones!" I get up grabbing my pencils and notebook

"Yes you did, he wasn't doing any harm!"

"Oh my god Michael get over it he's dead now"

"No I won't get over it" he says following me

"You're seriously starting an argument over a dead thing with eight legs?"

"How would you like it if you was on your way home to your family and someone squashed you with a pencil"

"That would never happen"

"If you was a spider"

"Still wouldn't happen, I'm a human"

"Oh my god, you can at least say you're sorry"

"No I will never say sorry for killing spiders. ESPECIALLY RED ONES!"

I place my stuff on the coffee table then I grab my keys and leave

"Hey Joey, bye Joey"

I leave a confused Joey at the front door and I get into my car driving off to Beth's place.

Skip car journey
"Hey, what a surprise" Beth smiles letting me in

"Hey, Michael is being a douche again so can I stay here for a few hours?"

"Of course"

"Thanks, how's you? You're getting bigger now"

"I'm good, had the scan yesterday. They said everything is fine and the babies are healthy"

"That's great, wait. Did you just say babies?"

"Yeah, its twins"

"Aww that's amazing, congratulations"

"Thanks, so what did you guys argue over now?"

"I killed a red spider"

She burst out laughing "sorry but that's just too funny. Aren't red ones bad anyway?"

"Yeah"

"So it was good you killed it. That spider could've grown into a giant one and killed you both"

"A bit too dramatic there" I laugh

"But it could've hurt you both"

"Exactly which is why I did it and I hate spiders they scare the life out of me"

"Really? I never knew that"

"I wasn't scared of them before. When I was little just like ladybirds I'd let them crawl around my hand. Someone threw things at me in school which involved spiders and red ones among them which bit me a lot and it wasn't a fun experience"

"That's horrible, who would ever want to do something like that"

"Michael"

Her eyes goes wide then her face goes confused "what do you mean?"

"Michael was my bully in school"

"You married your bully?"

"Yeah, never thought I would forgive him for what he did but here I am madly in love and married to him"

"How long did he bully you?"

"A few years, Joey helped him like saying where to hit me would be more effective. Mondays was the worst as there was a weekend break so there was catching up needing to be done on top"

"Why did you forgive him?"

"I tried to take my own life, well I did it a few times but never succeeded. One night I was close and he saved me. I don't know how it all really happened but I forgave him and we became friends slowly going to best friends and now we're here. Please don't tell anyone it will cause so many problems"

"Of course I won't tell anyone. Why would he bully you though?"

"He was going through a hard time with Joseph and he secretly liked me. I mean if Joseph was your father you'd be violent sometimes to let out the your anger but you could never hit him back so someone else has to be hit"

"I would be in prison if it was me"

"Same. Michael regrets it though, I know he didn't mean it and he really is such a kind person"

"So does he know why you hate spiders?"

"I screamed at him saying I hate them especially red ones. He doesn't know there was red ones with them that day, Joey never got to tell him after it happened but he arrived as I left so Michael will probably say what happened then he will get told about the red ones. Oh god, he's going to feel so guilty now for causing an argument"

"Hey, it will be ok" she says wrapping her arm around me

I lean my head on her shoulder and sigh "when he realise he does something that makes me remember the past he feels guilty. He gets so upset that it makes me upset seeing him so sad"

"It's good he still feels guilty though, many people end up marrying their bully and that person ends up no longer feeling guilty about it and sometimes  they go back to bullying again. I know for a fact Michael would never do that"

"I know he wouldn't either, if he did I won't be afraid to stand up to him and I know Joey would actually do something this time too"

She smiles and passes me a chocolate bar "chocolate makes everything better. Go home to your husband and make friends again, just don't have too much fun making up because the company can't afford 2 out of 3 people off because of new born babies" she winks

"I'm not ready for children yet" I laugh as I stand up

"I can imagine you two having lots of children, you'll have your own army of them"

I hug her and confirm I will not have an army of children then I say bye and head back home.

Home
"Scarlett? Is that you?"

"Yeah, it's me"

"I just finished cooking dinner"

I nod ok and walk to the dining room to find a candle lit steak and fries dinner.

"Peppercorn steak?"

"Of course"

I smile and take a seat to see it is in fact peppercorn steak just my one has 'I'm sorry' written on it in peppercorn.

I reach over the table and hold his hand "I forgive you."

"I over reacted too, it was only a little spider"

I go to agree and say there's thousands more on the planet but I chose against it not to cause another argument. I smile taking my hand back and I begin to eat food.