Chapter 16

Beth
She's a natural. She's come so far from the first time we met her. She's not the shy little girl who's hiding. She brings out a side of my son that I've never seen. She's great with my grandsons. I can't wait til she's my daughter in law.

Leland
The ring has been in my pocket all day. I had come into the kitchen to get some water and collect my thoughts after the whole thing with Dakota and Cobie. She looked beautiful with my son sleeping on her. "Son what's going on?" " Dad I'm nervous."  "She'll say yes." I heard a voice behind me. "Alex you scared me. "How do you know? What if she says no?" "Son you can't think like that." "Leland, Angel is my best friend, I have never seen her this happy, she will say yes." "Ok guys give me a couple mins and I'll be out."
An hour and half goes by and the sun is sinking lower in the sky. The fire pit is going and the kids have stopped running around. "Babe Cobie needs to wake up or he is never going to sleep tonight," Angel says to me. " hey bud you need to wake up." I say gently to my son. Nothing. Angel leans over and kisses his forehead and rubs his back, he stirs and opens his eyes to my soon to be wife. "Hi mommy" She stops. Everyone stops and looks over to us. "Let him sleep." Angel says and she leans back in the chair and holds him a bit tighter and closes her eyes. Dakota is next to me. "Daddy can I lay with mommy?" "Get yourself over here Ko." She's already moved Cobie, still sound asleep, and made room for Dakota on her lap. I don't think I could have smiled any bigger. I made my signal to everyone. It's now or never I think to myself. I see Angel's parents on the screen. I wanted to flew them out here but there wasn't enough time, they were however coming in two weeks. Shai moved into place and my family stood around us.
"Angel, babe, open your eyes please."
"I'm not sleeping Le, just resting my eyes."
"Yes I know your not sleeping but please open them and let me see your pretty blue eyes."
"Mama open your eyes." Dakota says looking at her and then at me. She opens them a little bit and smiles at Dakota. "You are just like your dad huh?" And they giggle. " yes my love?"  She says as she looks at me standing in front of her. She sees everyone standing around her and she starts to shake a bit. "Hey hey it's ok relax," I say as I look down and smile. She breathes in and relaxes. "Babygirl I love you so much, you've bought out a light in me that I thought went out a long time ago. You are the most caring and loving person I know. You accept my flaws and allow me to be who I am. You accept my attitude and know how to relax me when I'm upset. You are amazing woman and one of the strongest ones I know. You took my boys in with open arms and from the looks of it they are not going anywhere. Your great with my family and you've made an awesome business partner," I got down on my knee and pulled the box from my pocket and took her hand " Angel Marie I kneel before you, as a man who loves a women and ask you, will you be my partner in life forever?" As I slid the ring on her finger and looked into her eyes as tears rolled down. I reached my hand to her eyes as she did the same to me. I didn't realize I was crying. " mama say yes!" Cobie yelled. Everyone laughed. " yes Leland I will be your partner in life." Cheers came from everyone. Shai was taking pictures the whole time. It was then that she saw the computer. Her parents were crying. The boys got off her lap and I pulled her to me. I kissed her like I've never kissed her before. I didn't care that I was around my family or boys or her friends or that her parents were watching. It wasn't until I felt a kick on my shin that I stopped. "Uncle Le told me." Dakota said. Daune Lee looked at me "Dude there's kids here!" I heard Bob talking to her parents that he would have Angel call them later on. Everyone was congratulating us. " OVER MY DEAD BODY WILL SHE HAVE MY KIDS!!!!" "Mom take the kids in the house please." Angel said without missing a beat. How Maui got here I don't know.

You
You couldn't believe she was here. How dare she come here and ruin our cookout. "You are not invited here, you need to leave." You calmly walked towards her. " who the hell do you think you are telling me where I can and can't be?" She was disheveled  and you could smell the beer on her breath. "You need to leave now Maui." You said as calmly as you could. "Maui get the hell out of here! You've already ruined my children's lives with your drinking and you will not do them anymore harm!" Leland screamed beside you. " nice ring sweetheart did he use the money he's suppose to giving me for OUR children to buy your crack head ass that ring? Don't worry he'll come back to me, I had him first." "Fuck you Maui take your drunk ass home!" Leland said "oh sweety you must be mistaking me for someone who is scared of you. Yea you may have 'had' him first but trust and believe I will have him forever." "Not if I can help it." The last thing you remember is her lunging towards you and searing pain thru your body, and the sound of everyone screaming and then sirens.