Chapter 20

Morning rolled around. I groaned at the sight of the sun seeping in through the window of my room. As I went to get up, Vanessa pulled me back down in the bed. I hit it with a loud thump resulting in a giggle to escape her mouth.

"Skip school, babe. Please," she pleads while wrapping her arms around me, securing me back on the bed by her side.

"My mom won't like that. Plus, I need to go to school. I have honors everything and can't fall behind," I whisper in her ear.

"Please, Cal."

"No. I'm sorry, babe. You know school's somewhat important to me."

"Damn you for being smart. I blame your father. You obviously got your brains from him," she says sadly while laughing.

"Yeah," I say sadly.

"You miss him, don't you?" she asks quietly as if not wanting my mother to hear our conversation even though I doubt she's awake at this torturous hour.

"I do. A lot," I trail off.

"We've never talked about what happened or how you're taking it," she says, pulling the blanket over us and holding me tighter for reassurance.

Truth is, I don't wanna talk to her about it. Not just to her, but to anyone about the matter. I don't want people to know my dad left me because of my bitch of a mother. They had an argument, and he was gone the next day. She never spoke about it from that day on. There are so many questions that fill my head about what happened, but I'll never get answers. There is no point in asking my mother anyway and she's my only source for answers. All she'll ever say is how she doesn't want me to end up like him, a fucked up abomination of a man. And if I ask her about what happened, she'll always respond with how it's none of my concern or he's gone, and we don't need his fucked up ass back again. The usual things.

But I want him back. I need him back. He's my dad. Every boy needs their dad and now with everything going on lately, I feel like I need him more than ever. He's the only one who can help me, and try to understand me. He understood me, never judged me even with all the bad things I've done in the past, and he was always the better parent. He was the one I favored, the one that could provide the sense of family, forgiveness, comfort while still being an asshole, sometimes playing the parental role. I just miss him, that's all. I don't know when and if I'll ever see him again. I don't even know where he is. I just hope he's fine. I just hope he still cares about his son just as he did before he left.

"There's not much to say," I say, wrapped in the tragic thought of my father not loving and caring for me anymore.

"Your dad loves you. You're his only kid and he's always loved you more than your mother. Everyone could see it. He'll come back eventually. You know he will," she says almost answering my thoughts.

I pull her closer to my chest for comfort and bury my head in her long hair.

What if he didn't love me? He picked up everything and left. Left me behind with my mother, of all people, knowing we never got along to some extent.

"I know he does," I say with hope.

"He does," she confirms.

"I have to go to school, babe." She groans while clutching onto me tighter. "I'll leave early so we can spend the day together before you leave. How does that sound?"

"Amazing," she says gratefully while kissing my lips. I get up and place the blanket over her gently. Within the next 10 minutes, I'm dressed, groomed, and brushed heading out the door.

As I go to lock the door, my phone buzzes serval times. I groan and wonder out loud what the fuck does Vanesa already want. I haven't even left the house yet. I walk to my car, put the key in the ignition and check my text messages.