Chapter 8

I stood there frozen, taking in what Luke just said to me. What does he mean? Obviously, he means he's had a great day with you, you twat, my subconscious retorts. I mean, we really didn't do much, and we barely know each other so how could I have made his day great so far? It makes no sense to me; he makes no sense to me. Then again, nothing has made sense to me since I moved here.

I sigh, throwing my clothes back to the ground and walking back to him, taking a seat right next to him at the end of the pit. He glances at me sympathetically while watching. "So, how old are you?" I began to ask. "17 today," he says. "You're so young," I chuckle back to him, causing him to push me back in the pit laughing. "Hey, I was only being truthful!" I put my hands up in my defense.

The water pit was actually way warmer than it was before, so I just stood there basking in the water. As I slowly began to drift away in the water, Luke brought me right back.

"Your mother seems nice," he says, a bit awkward with a smile. I shoot him a confused look, almost saying when have you met my mother, exactly? I think he caught onto my look and answered my thoughts. "From what I can tell when I met her for 3 seconds while returning your phone, I mean," he says reminding me, almost annoyed by me not remembering. I completely forgot that he had stopped by after my little argument with my mom. I shoot him a apologetic glance and said, "Yeah, she is." "So, what made you guys move to Amsterdam of all places?" Luke questions. "My mother's a writer, and the current book she's writing is going to take place here, so what better way to get know a place than living in it?" I said a bit low. "Do you move all the time when she writes books?" "Yeah, I do," I reply a little sad thinking about the 8 places we've moved to in the past 3 years. Luke gave me this look as if he was sorry for me. "I mean, I'm fine with it. As long as she's happy, I'm happy. And writing makes her happy, so I put up with it, I guess." He sends an understanding look to me, and comes into the pit with me, making the water swirl in circles as he comes towards me. "Are you staying here for a while?" he questions needily. "You ask a lot of questions, Luke," I snort, not answering the questions and just shake my head, not knowing an answer.

This silence fell between us, but it wasn't an awkward silence at all; it was the comfortable silence type. Luke began looking down, staring right into my eyes while saying, "I hope you stay here long." He shot me a cheesy smile, causing me to push him under the water and let out a laugh.

I got out the pit suddenly tired of water, and hungry. Really hungry. Luke quickly followed after me. Once I got to my clothes, I looked at my phone. Shit, it was 5:30. How did time pass so fast? It felt like just 5 minutes ago, we were leaving first period. I quickly got dressed while Luke stared at me really confused. I answered his thoughts and said "It's 5:30." He seemed to care less, and began getting dressed.

While Luke took forever to get dressed, I just stared at the beautiful pit. I was gonna miss this place. It was amazing, and even though I did get angry earlier, it was a nice place to relieve stress and just not worry about anything. Luke bringing me here was great, and if he hadn't pinned me to the wall forcing me here, I probably would've went to the park alone giving myself pity over how Luke treats me around his friends. I bit my lip at the memory of him pinning me against the wall and feeling his hot breath on my neck, but I quickly snapped the memory out of my head before I could react more.

I turn to look back at Luke who was still getting dressed, and then he smirked and chuckled. "Did you like it here?" he asks, pulling up his jeans. "Yeah, sad to be leaving, really. Can I just stay here and avoid the real world forever?" I question, staring at him. "I'm sorry," he says. I feel confused really, I mean what is he sorry for, but he answers my thoughts by saying, "For always treating you so bad around my friends; I don't mean it." I feel my body tense. Instead of letting myself get angry, I breath in and out slowly exhaling all the anger inside me. "I know," I state.

In some weird way, I try to understand just for the moment, because I don't wanna ruin this day. Even though I'm completely confused and have no fucking idea what he means. Finally, Luke is done and grabs me by the hand and leads me out of the pit and through the rocky tunnel. My stomach begins to churn at the contact of our hands and I don't know if that's good or not.

At one point, we finally reach the car and just drive, in silence. Suddenly, I began to feel empty as we drove farther and farther away from the pit. Maybe because I was suddenly coming to realize that the perfect day was coming to an end and I didn't want it to. I rest my head against the window and I instantly feel my eye lids go heavy, causing me to fall fast asleep.

~~

"Calum, wake up. We're at your house," I hear Luke say while shaking me. I slowly come back to the real world realizing that we're in my driveway. I look to Luke then back to my house and stretch out. "You're cute when you sleep," Luke blushes. I say nothing in response. Instead, I turn to open the door, but I am quickly pulled back into the car midway from getting out. "Come tonight. Please, for me?" Luke begs. I stare into his eyes. They seem so soft, so needy. He's still holding my wrist when I stare up into his eyes. "I'll think about it," I say right before getting out the car and closing the door behind me, leaving Luke with a hopeful smile on his face.