Chapter 1 ● Birthday

"Happy Birthday!" I yelled as I jumped on my brother's bed.

"Let a man sleep, Violet!" Topher exclaimed.

"No, I was made to not let men sleep," I retorted as lied down next to him.

"You're disgusting, get out of my room," he grunted before putting a pillow on his head.

It was about to be nine in the morning and I was tired myself. I hadn't slept the whole night so I made my way over to Topher's apartment building super early in the morning. I was in need of a distraction and planning a birthday party sounded like the right move.

"Wake up, it's your birthday!" I swatted his back.

"And that's why I have the right to sleep in," he argued.

"Mom has already called ten times, get up," I urged him once again.

"Why? Your party isn't for hours."

I rolled my eyes and let out a grunt this time around.

"So much for the surprise, huh?" He mocked me.

I pushed him off the bed with my feet after he spoke.

"Oww," he said from the floor, bundled up in the blanket. "It was a given when all my friends asked me what time to be at my birthday party."

"Your friends are idiots."

"Hey, don't insult my friends. You're literally only having this party for yourself."

"How could you say that?" I act offended.

Topher smiled before going for his glasses on the nightstand and I got up and left to wait for him in the living room.

On my way there, I fixed up a bowl of cereal for myself before planting myself on his couch.

"Don't you have your own apartment with your own food?" He asked.

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't. What's it to you?" I responded.

He was bumping into everything in his path while he tried making his way to the kitchen.

"How hungover are you?" I asked as I kept my attention on the television thereafter.

"Like a seven, on a scale of one to ten."

I heard the coffee machine start to rumble as I kept watching the morning show on the screen and finished up my breakfast.

I smiled at Topher when I reached the kitchen and broke the comfortable silence.

"I'll be back around six to decorate," I say as I place the bowl in the sink.

"Sound good. Can I invite people for a change?"

"I invited all your phone contacts," I explained.

"Yeah, well I have more friends than those," he spoke after swallowing his sip of coffee.

"Whatever floats your boat," I nod.  "I'm bringing Stephanie to help me," I spoke referring to my friend.

"Perfect, I'll see you two later," Topher nodded. "But wash that bowl before you leave," he ordered.

"Oh, sorry, I can't!" I began backing up to the front door. "I'm in a hurry, bye! Happy Birthday!" I lied as I took a grip of the door knob and headed out.

"Violet!" I could hear him yell through the metal door.

I stood there for a second chuckling to myself before heading down the stairs on my left and making a mental list of decorations to buy.