Chapter 19 ● Apart

"Yes, mother," I practically grunt.

The fact that I thought my mother might have the slight decency to not ask about my financial situation proves my state of insanity. 

Sure I come from an upper class family, but that doesn't mean I have to rely on them at all times. That was my thing see, make it on my own. Doesn't seem to be working so well.

I slept over at Stephanie's last night after that whole ordeal with Alex kind of breaking up with me, but I'm not sure if that's gonna stick since we didn't talk it out fully. I went out for drinks with her that night, ran into Nick and I've been texting him all morning. 

The thought of him as a rebound doesn't sound bad, but that sentence does. I'll just be using him but my heart says other wise cause I kind of having been crushing on him since we met.

"So sweetie, I was wondering what you were doing this weekend," my mom speaks.

"How come?" I inquire.

"I am going on a sort of holiday. Lucille and I, Bora Bora most likely, or Spain. Maybe even France-"

"I hear Marseille is nice," I frown and scrape the bottom of my plate with my fork, thinking of Alex.

"Went there last month. Listen honey, I only ask because I need someone to house sit and I know your brother is so busy all the-"

"I'll do it!" I exclaim.

The only time I get to visit my mother is for Christmas and Thanksgiving, she's always off on trips and those are my favorite times of the year because her place is amazing.

A Central Park West penthouse. The view of the park in the morning through every window is stunning. The ultimate dream place.

The brunch with my mom was pretty satisfying, we had a great time considering our last meeting was a bit rough. My mother has been distant since she's always half way around the world so I tend to cherish these moments.

Ever since my father died eight years ago, I was only 15, she seems to cope with it by spending money and leaving the place where he passed. I kind of envy her for never having shown a sliver of emotion that year, her poker face was intimidating to say the least. I resent her, yes, but she was the only one left in my life with Topher off in college.

○○○

I decide to head to work that day, feeling as if Joel has been missing me for quite some time. Nick is there and I can finally quit texting him. Flirting the night away is the way we spent it.

The bar was pretty busy that night, but we told Joel we'd lock up.

"Violet," he smiles.

"Nick," I smile back.

"How's about a cup of coffee?" Nick starts as he locks up the front door. "Not now, seeing how it's almost dawn, but in the future?"

"In the future, sure, I'd love to," I smile.

Nick later asked to walk me home and the only reason I say yes is because I can feel a pair of eyes on me other than his.