Chapter 9 ● Your Finger's Helter Skelter

The banging at my door would not stop.

I look over to the clock on my nightstand before looking over at the door. I was beyond mad at this point, swinging the door open to reveal Alex.

"Morning love," he smiles.

I shut the door on his face right after. The banging got louder.

"Leave me alone!" I yelled through the door as I ran back to bed.

Moments later and the lock was picked. Alex was walking toward me slowly.

"Stop picking my goddamn lock, Alex."

"You wouldn't open the door, so you practically forced me too."

I shoved my face into my pillow when Alex plopped himself on my bed.

"Kinda convenient that your bedroom is right next to your living room, don't ya think?" Alex spoke.

"No, I don't think so," I respond.

"Well go on, get dressed. I won't look, promise," he says.

"For what? What do you want from my life?"

"CBGB Festival, today."

"Alex, I'm gonna say this in the nicest way possible, okay? Fuck off," I spoke.

He threw himself on my back right after, crushing me.

"Alex," I tried to speak.

"I'll get off of you, once you agree to get dressed," he whispers in my ear.

I quickly agreed and went for the pile of clothes near my bed.

"Never thought, I'd have to say those words," Alex said as he rolled off.

"Go wait outside," I squinted at him.

"As you wish," he said.

○○○

As soon as I got dressed I went out to the hall and was greeted by Alex once again.

"An hour. Max," I say strictly.

"I know you want to spend more than an hour with me," he smirked.

○○○

We arrived to a closed off Times Square and Alex put his hands out.

"Violet Harris, may I present to you the CBGB Festival," Alex said as he bowed down before handing me my pass.

"That's a pretty nice accent you put on there," I tease. "Sounded authentic."

"Really? British accents are usually my worst," he jokes making me laugh.

The place was crowded, too crowded, more than expected. The stage was set and there was already a band playing.

"We're late," Alex says. "You took too long to get dressed and you walk slow and you sleep too much."

I smack him in the back of his head and get a laugh from him.

"Come here," he says and puts his hand on my waist and guides me into the crowd.

We get about 20 feet deeper into the sea of people and stand there. Alex tells me about the band we're watching and the two after that, around the fourth band he offers me a seat on his shoulders but I kindly reject his offer.

It's almost three in the afternoon when we decide on going to catch more concerts at the other venues.

We were practically bar hopping and we managed to watch six other bands.

We walk to Indie Screen shortly after to catch a Jimi Hendrix film. I spot a familiar face as we search for seats and start to mention it to Alex.

"This festival is really small," I say.

"Why do you figure?"

"I've seen the same guy everywhere we've been," I explain.

Alex freezes a bit but then we sit down. 

Once the film starts, I assume he thinks I can't see him but he keeps trying to spot someone, the person I pointed out. 

"You alright?" I put his hand on his cheek and bring his attention to me.

He holds eye contact with me for a second before excusing himself to use the bathroom.

Alex's POV

I get up and walk out the theater, hoping to spot him. 

I head towards the bathroom, but instead of going inside I hide behind some cut out of a movie.

I realize he sent someone to follow me when I spot a worker of his.

I think of how to lose him. How to keep Violet safe.

I spot the fire alarm by my shoulder and pull it immediately without thinking further.

The sprinkler system activates and people begin to rush out of the theater. The guy just stands there as we make eye contact. I ran past him in the crowd of running, scared people. 

I walk into the previous room I had been in and call out for Violet. I see her already running towards the exit I was stood at and grab her immediately. 

"This way," I say and we run in the other direction.

I can feel the guy's eyes on me before Violet and I get lost in the crowd. We manage to slip through the back door I was going for and we run down the alley.

"Who was that guy?" She frantically asks.

"What guy?" I lie.

She stops me at the corner of the alley, almost in the street. 

We stand there soaking, Violet's back against the brick wall.

"I thought you were looking at him," Violet speaks.

I place my hand on the wall by her head and I find myself staring at her.

"Violet," I try building up the courage to explain my life to her.

"I had a great time today, surprisingly," she says and stops me in my tracks.

"Told you so," I smile and feel a bit of relief rush through my body.

"Well...."

"Well, what?" I ask.

"Mission accomplished," she says.

"What mission was that exactly?"

"I like you," Violet whispered.

Everything around me froze. All my attention was focused on this one beautiful girl standing in front of me.

"Yeah?" I smiled.

Violet silently nodded and I saw the color spreading on her cheeks.

"No way," I laugh a little and she joins.

"Alright, then," she looks away and I take a hold of her right hand.

"Wait," I let out a laugh and get her attention again. "I like you too," I whisper. "Obviously."

I start to lean in to kiss her, but to my surprise she was already halfway leaned in.

There's a spark I've never felt before. A completely electric kiss, probably from all the waiting and yearning I had to endure before this very moment.