Chapter 16 ● Paid In Full

Alex's POV

It was about two in the morning when I woke up. Violet was lying next to me still, facing me, right arm bent over her head. She is the most beautiful girl I've ever laid eyes on.

I got dressed and contemplated writing a note for her. 

I usually don't do anything of the sort after sleeping with a girl, but here she was an actual girlfriend that I was in love with. I couldn't part and leave her worried.

The only paper I can find was a receipt so I grab a pen that was near and write her a love letter.

The feel of your goosebumps on your upper arm under my fingertips makes me want to hold you till I draw my last breath. As much as I wanted to keep you for the rest of the night, I just couldn't bear damaging the beauty going on in that tiny bed of yours. One day I'll buy you a big soft bed that you can lay your gorgeous locks on, all the way far from here in Marseille, with the soft smell of the sea coming in through our balcony. Come find me when the sun comes up.

Yours forever, Alex.

I manage to leave her place without waking her up. I knew just where I had to go after I shut the door to her apartment.

○○○

When I made it to the other apartment I had in mind, I knocked until someone answered.

A disheveled man swung the metal door open.

"Do you know what time it-"

"Yes," I say as I push past him and into his apartment.

"Who the hell are you?" he whispers, seemingly not wanted anyone else to get out of bed.

"The wife asleep?" I question.

"I'm about to call the cops-"

"No need for that. Now, to the chase," I put my hands out before sitting down on the couch. "How much money does Violet Harris owe you?"

"Who are you? Her boyfriend? I don't think that's any of your business."

"I asked nicely once, don't make me repeat myself a third time. How much does Violet owe you?"

"Two months. Two months worth of rent."

"Which is?"

"Two thousand each month."

The thought of her miraculously having four thousand dollars in a day made me want to laugh.

I pull out my wallet and hold the thick wad of bills in my left hand as I begin counting all the money I have in total with my right hand.

"Here's four months worth of rent and I'll be back here tomorrow to pay off her flat."

I leave the 80 bills stacked neatly on the small stand by his couch and walk out the door as I sense him stare confused at the amount of money I left at his disposal.