Chapter 20 ● Play It Again

Alex's POV

Only took Vi a day to find someone to walk her home.

Violet's POV

The banging n my door that awoke me came of no surprise, already knowing who was the culprit.

"What do you want Alex? I've gotten two hours of sleep." I begin as I swing the door open the face him.

He just stood there, completely still. The sight of him moving me more than his bones and muscles moved him.

Eyes, still swollen. Lip and cheekbone still healing. I noticed his knuckles for the first time, also in a race to recover.

"Can I come in?" He asks for what seems like the first time politely.

I move aside and watch him walk, slowly, into my place. He sits down on an upholstered chair across from my bed before I make my way over to the mattress I was just lying on.

"You weren't supposed to see me like that Violet," he started the dialogue.

"Oh stop it-"

"I thought it was best if you just stayed away from me from now on, but I can't stay away from you-"

"Were you the one following me?" I ask and he says nothing, confirming my thought. "I think it's best if you just leave." I state before getting back up.

I stood there still, knowing I had more to bring up.

"Why'd you pay off my rent?" I inquire.

"I love you, Violet." he speaks, making me shut my eyes.

"I love you," I utter back. "Can you please just answer my question?"

"Please forgive me, this is the last time," I can hear him getting closer to me as I tried to calm my anger.

I only nod when I open my eyes to meet an Alex standing right in front of me. I only caught a glimpse of his face for what felt like a second since he leaned in right after and left a kiss on my lips which I returned reluctantly.

"Why are those guys still after you?" I ask when he pulls back but lingers in front of my face, our foreheads touching.

"I skipped out on a job of theirs, to show them that I'm not working for them anymore. They don't seem to get it... or like it for that matter," he tells me. "Don't worry. Let's just go to bed," he suggests.

"I have to go over to my mom's house, I'm house sitting this weekend," I explain as I shake my head.

"I'll take you," he offers, when he notices my expression he corrects himself. "Just text me the address and I'll go by later," he says before kissing me on the forehead and leaving.

While I packed for my mom's, I still was worrying for him. He was all I thought about while I zipped up my bag.

○○○

Alex's POV

The room was dim, two body guards and Michael sat across from me. I don't think I've ever made it all the way to his house. It's too big, so even if I did, I would've gotten lost halfway from the front door to one of the many bathrooms here.

"I said, I'm gonna wanna have your head next time you didn't show up to a pick up. What part of that didn't make it past your thick skull?" Michael shouted.

"Look, I tried to be nice about this because you've helped me a lot and frankly I don't wanna start anything with you because I respect you, but I am done. I want out. For good," I reply cooly.

"Listen here Alex, you never get out. If I say jump, you ask how high. As for that big job in the Bronx, it almost went to shit with one less man so be a-fucking-ware of that. You owe me."

"What if I don't pay?" I ask.

"Have you seen your face lately? Listen kid, I have eyes and ears everywhere, I think it's best if you pay me and keep doing what you're told, no more of this rebel bullshit. You're too old for it anyway."

"Is that why you call me kid all the time?"

Michael glared at me.

"How's that girlfriend of yours?" He began again. "Violet is it?"

"You stay the fuck away from her," I push the chair I was sat in so hard to stand up that it falls to the floor, making the two body guards step forward. 

With a wave of his hand, Michael makes them both take their previous places.

"We'll be in touch Alex," he says before gesturing for me to leave.