Chapter 22 ● Don't Be Friendly

Morning came and as the sun tried to sneak my eyes open, I felt that Violet wasn't by my side.

A half turn confirmed that as I rolled to my other side. Half of an empty bed.

I stood up, walked slowly around looking for her, then remembering what Michael had spoken, I begin to run frantically.

The ding coming from the lift made me want to run over to get my gun that I now had to carry with, but I ran towards it unarmed instead. Thankfully finding Violet in one piece, safe and sound, arriving in a robe too posh for my liking.

"Where the hell were you?" I ask, knowing I sound too worried.

"Are you well?" she almost laughs at me. "I went downstairs to get the paper," she explains before continuing. "Get this, I was going into the private elevator and some heavy set guy tried getting on it with me, I was like 'Excuse me? This is a private elevator.' He was like 'Oh sorry, I just moved here, my name's Will, nice to meet you, have you lived here long?' I was confused at this point, that's why I took so long babe, didn't think you'd wake up before I'd get back," she finishes.

"Then what happened?" I ask eager as we walk towards the kitchen.

"Oh and then I was like 'Yeah, nice to meet you, elevator's that way' then I shut the door, what a weirdo, not trying to sound rude, but he didn't seem like he belonged. The people here have a certain stuck up manner, he seemed to lack compared to the rich old ladies here."

Michael's voice just filled up my head. Eyes and ears everywhere.

"Son of a bitch," I whisper.

I try to endure breakfast without throwing a fit. I sneak away to the bathroom after and open up my phone. Look for a bug or something, nothing. That means they're just following me. Us.

I come out to find Violet drinking some wine.

"Isn't it a bit too early?" I question her.

"This is the last day to have fine wine, Alex, you know that," she remarked.

We spend the day on the terrace and in the den. Back and forth, back and forth, Violet is tipsy and she's getting tired. This is my chance.

"Mother gets back tonight, I don't wanna get caught with you," she muttered. "But then again, that'd be a laugh," she adds.

"Aren't you tired, love?" I ask as I brush some hair, that was in her face, behind her ear.

"Yeah, let's have a siesta," she says.

"I don't think it counts as a nap if it's almost nine at night," I slip out from under her and stand up. I take the wine bottle and put it on the coffee table. The clank fills the room. Violet is sprawled out on the couch.

"Listen, babe, like you said, your mom is bound to get home any minute now, it's best for me to leave. I'll come back when she's asleep okay, whisk you off your feet and we can go back to my place, okay?" I ask. "Get some rest, I love you."

After I plant a kiss on her cheek, she opens her lips up to speak.

"Promise?" she asks.

"Promise."

I make my way over to her apartment and ransack the place, looking for the slightest hint someone has been there besides us. 

Nothing. 

How long have they been on her tail? Not long if they don't know where she lives.

I go back to my place. It's still all a mess, they've only been by that one time. I don't wanna ask Topher either if anyone has been by. He wants to kill me and I don't blame him.

I go and lay on my bed, thinking of Violet, waiting until it's early enough in the morning to go by and sweep her off her feet, bring her back here.