Chapter 18 ● Observed Upon

When Alex finally manages to kick me out of his place, I have no one to turn to.

I call Stephanie, but get no answer.

The only thing occupying me right now is the amount of effort it is taking me to hold back my tears and not let everyone passing by me stare.

My phone rings and a flash of hope passes through me.

My mother. The last thing I need.

"Hello?" I answer, trying to put on my best stable voice.

"Sweetheart, I need to ask a favor from you. Brunch tomorrow at Rondono?" She says, not even noting the crack at the end of my greeting.

"Sure thing, bye," I hang up before she can ask anything else, knowing that if she asked me what was wrong after hearing me try to speak a sentence I'd breakdown.

I head towards the subway. Five stops to Stephanie's place.

When I finally arrive outside her place, I call again.

"Hello?" A drowsy voice finally answers.

"I'm downstairs. Buzz me in please." I say before ending the call.

Thirty seconds later, the buzzing sound lets me in. I head towards the left hall and take the elevator up to the fifth floor. Stephanie left the door cracked open for me and I walk right in.

By the look on her face, I can tell my face is all puffy and the tears that have dried on my cheeks left a streak.

"Oh, Vi," she sits up from the dining table and walks toward me.

○○○

Michael's POV

"Fill the glass up," I order him.

"Don," one of them speaks as he enters.

"What'd I fucking say about knocking?" I almost yell.

"I went by that boy's place. Alex," he starts. "I stuck around after, watching everyone who entered the building. Took a photo of everyone who went in and out. Mostly people who live there, visitors too. I recognize this girl," he notes.

He then shows me two photos of a girl. First, one of her going into the building, then one of her leaving it, tears down her face and hand over her mouth. "Girlfriend. Saw them together when I staked him out at the movie theater."

"Great. Have someone find out who she is and follow her," I tell him.

"I followed her to this one building. She didn't have keys, so probably a friend's or relative's," he spoke.

"Good, keep an eye on her. We could use her."