Chapter 33 ● Overseas

17 Months Later

Dear Violet,

The money from mom's apartment finally came in, $88 million. 88 million makes 22 million each. Your money is on its way, Joel bought a nice home with his wife in Long Island. Northport I think it was. Anyway, he sends his best. Stephanie said she might move to Brooklyn or Europe even, so be expecting her soon. She also sends her best. I'm looking at some nice houses in Queens, I still wanna stay close to the city for my job, but Emily and I do want enough space for our future children. I sent the wedding invite with this letter, I know you won't be able to come but I wanted you to have an invite and maybe be there in spirit, but we'll see you at the end of our honeymoon (we're heading to Italy or Spain, or both, what with all the money). Maybe buy yourself a bigger home with more than one room for the future. Em says hi, too. Send our best to Alex. Can't wait to hear back.

- Topher

P.S. The city is as free of cartels and corrupt cops as ever

Dear Topher,

That is a lot of money. Send my best to Joel, I'll write him soon. Tell Stephanie that she's welcome whenever and leave our house be, it's big enough for just the two of us. I will be at the wedding in spirit and can't wait to see you, miss you. Alex sends his best to everyone also.

- Lots of love, Vi

After putting the card in the post I drive our motorboat back to the island. When I arrive, Alex was sat in the kitchen reading something on his phone.

I walk over and put my hands on his shoulders and kiss his cheek before heading to the fridge for a cold beverage.

"How'd it go love?" he asks.

"Good. Topher and Em send their best, the money from my mom's apartment is coming in soon. Topher says that we should buy a bigger house."

"He's right, we should," he says before taking a sip of his beer.

It's almost been a year and a half since I left New York and life is actually amazing. I've never been happier. As I look at him with the sunlight coming in from the window behind him, I can hear my heartbeat.

He's my everything.

Alex's POV

She takes a sip of her drink and curls the end of a strand of hair right after.

She's absolutely beautiful and I knew it since the moment I first laid eyes on her when I first moved into Topher's building. This girl just stood there waiting outside his place humming a song out of tune and flashing a smile at me out of courtesy as I struggled with the box in my left hand and my keys in the right. I dropped the box as soon as she acknowledged me, she was stunning. 

I knew I had to have her since everything slowed down at first sight. I made it my mission to have her and even though I wasn't the best person throughout everything and I damaged a lot, I knew that one day we'd end up like this, the happiest we're ever going to be.

We have each other and that's all that matters.

Dear Violet,

Can't wait to see you guys either, and yes let me burden you with the idea of moving. It's not just the two of you, it's the three. I wouldn't want my nephew to grow up in a cramped house.

- Topher