Chapter 24 ● Not At The Moment

It's been two months and the investigation has gone unsolved.

They gave us the body to bury. The body. My heart aches a little when I think of the authorities labeling my mother with that term.

The last time I spoke to Alex was the night my mom was killed. It was the day after that I saw him and I didn't answer him at all. I couldn't look him in the eyes. I've seen him since, Topher has kindly warned him off, which proved how he was probably too miserable to fight with Alex.

He promised.

The police don't have any idea who would've had the motive to do such a thing, but I do.

That should've been me. That man at the elevator early that day, it was most likely him. Or he confirmed with his boss that I did live there and they sent someone else.

And that boss, in turn, is Alex's boss. My life wouldn't have been threatened if it wasn't for him. I wouldn't be burying my mother at the moment if it wasn't for him.

So how dare him show his face here. He hasn't noted that I've seen him behind that tree. The priest was leaving Topher and me alone when I spotted Alex in the distance.

The umbrella trying to do the best job of keeping us dry, our tears doing otherwise.

The last thing I want is any sort of confrontation here at this miserable cemetery.

"I'll meet you at your car," I place a hand on Topher's hand, the one holding the umbrella. "Please, don't follow me," I step out from under the protection as he protests behind me.

Before heading in Alex's direction, I squat down to put a photo of my father and mother on the pile of newly disturbed dirt, knowing Topher would try to fix it.

With water seeping into my flats, Alex starts to meet me halfway. I'm closer to Topher's car than I thought I'd be, knowing he was about to meet us.

"I am so sorry," Alex speaks, lower lip protruding, rain falling off of it. "We have to-"

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Topher interrupts.

"I am so sorry," he continues, I can't tell whether he's crying or not.

"Topher get in the car," I plead.

"Like hell I am," he states.

When I turn to face my brother, I gave him the look to beg. If it wasn't for the energy wasted at the funeral, he may not have gotten into the car.

"I am so sorry," Alex begins again.

"You said that already," I tell him.

"Violet-"

"Stop talking. This is all your fault, you should know that," I say harshly. "No drug fucking cartel kings would have tried to kill me, yes me. You know my mother was murdered because that coward thought that was me. I had to fucking find her body sprawled there like an object," Alex presses his lips onto one another as I got on. "Alex you have no goddamn idea what you have done and put me through. I hope you feel like shit. I sure fucking hope you feel like complete and utter shit. You made a promise to come back for me. Maybe you could've stopped the whole ordeal somehow. You could've saved me, but of course you didn't keep your word. You never seem to," my heart broke a little more than I thought it could. "So much for whisking me away," I begin to walk away from him before turning on my heels for a final word. "If you ever come near me again I swear to God I'll have your head."