Chapter 14 ● Don't Heckle Me

"Oh no!" I say half laughing.

"Oh well, it's not like it was any good anyway," Nick says.

"First of all, Mister Softee is always good," I correct him

"Sure," he laughs.

"Anyway," I roll my eyes at him. "Here where my ice cream lies, is the famous Cyclone!"

"Amazing!" He adds on to my unnecessary enthusiasm.

"Let's ride it," I grab his arm and run begin running toward the roller coaster.

The bar was closed and Nick and I had a day off. We quickly made plans to visit Coney Island together. We spent a day getting to know each other more on the long train ride, the beach, then the amusement park.

The sun is shining down on us, at 103 degrees, my thighs burn when they touch the seat of the coaster.

Alex's POV

She's been with him for hours. The heat is getting on my nerves and the crowds aren't helping either.

○○○  

Violet's POV

I get off the train back home in Manhattan when my phone buzzes.

Hey love

Hey babe, what's going on?

You busy? Hoping you could come over

I'll be there in ten

Alright love, take care

○○○

I've been a tad distant from Alex since finding out about his whole ordeal. It's been weeks since we've seen each other in person.

By the time I arrive at Alex's place, I find Topher about to go into his apartment.

"Hey, brother.." I say awkwardly attempting to reference a tv show.

"Hey... sister? Came to see Alex?"

"Yep. Don't worry though, no sex while you're across the hall," I said, trying to add some humor to the situation.

"Please, don't." he spoke. "Anything new?"

"Nothing whatsoever," I shake my head. "And you?"

"Likewise," he finally opens the door to his place. "Gonna come in for a bit?"

"Nah," I wave my hand at him. "I'll see you, alright?"

"See you," Topher nods.

I cross the hall and knock on Alex's door and he opens up immediately.

"I thought I heard some voices in the corridor," he reported.

"These walls are thin," I add. "I bumped into Topher and tried to make an awful joke about us not having sex cause he's near, didn't work out so nicely."

"What a shame, seeing as how we haven't actually had sex," Alex replies.

"Yet," I point out.

"I've been thinking..." I say as I wrap my arms around his neck.

"What'd you do today?" He interrupts me abruptly.

"I hung out with a friend," I reply. "What'd you do today?"

"I saw you. With the guy. Who is he?"

"What do you mean you saw me?" I take a step back.

"I mean, I saw you. What's his name?"

"Were you following me?"

"What's his bloody name, Vi!" He yells and I back up even further.

"My friend's name is Nick. Emphasis on the friend. Now let's get back to you stalking me because I was with some guy."

"That's the problem right there. A guy."

"So just because I'm with someone of the opposite sex, I'm cheating on you?"

"Might as well be."

"Wow, you must have shit self esteem if you think anyone I hang out with is someone I plan to fuck on the side!"

"No love, it's not about what I think about myself, it's about what I think about you," he pointed.

I stay quiet. 

I grab my stuff that I threw on his couch and head towards the door. Once I open it an angry Topher comes running in.

"You stay the fuck away from my sister you asshole!" He yells as he pushes Alex away from me.

I try to rip Topher off of him as soon as he storms in. Punches were thrown and I had to step back to not get hurt.

I manage to pull Topher off after screaming their names enough times. They both had blood on each of their faces.

"What the fuck is your problem?" Alex yells as he wipes the blood from his lip away.

"Don't you talk to my sister that way!"

"I didn't mean any of it! Mind your own business!" Alex says, sounding somewhat apologetic.

Just as Topher takes another step forward I intersect him and push him towards the door and to his loft.

Topher's POV

Violet pushes me on the couch and heads towards the freezer without saying a word. She comes back with an ice pack and places it angrily on my temple, making me flinch. 

Here comes the yelling.

To my surprise she stays quiet. When I finally look up I see the tears streaming down her face.

"Don't you ever fucking do that again!" She cries.

I push the ice pack away and hug her and we stay like that for a bit.

Violet's POV

I wake up early in the morning on Topher's couch and wipe at my face instinctively. It's three in the morning. I grab my stuff and leave Topher's place.

Left, to the stairwell or straight ahead, to Alex?

I push my head back and rest it on the wall, contemplating where I should go.

Left.

As the heavy door creaks open I hear another one open. Hoping it's Alex, but knowing it's Topher.

Alex's POV

I see her standing there. Her eyes red and puffed. Purse in right hand, hair over her left shoulder, looking back at me.

I step over and grab her right arm and kiss her. I embrace her and kiss her. The most genuine kiss I have ever given in my life.

I can feel she doesn't kiss me back at first, figuring out whether she should forgive me or not after what I said, but she does eventually.

I stop for a second and kiss her on the forehead and hold her in my arms. The most gratifying feeling ever.

"I'm so sorry," I mumble.

She says nothing.

"I didn't mean what I said, I just think that guy is bad news. You have nothing to do with it."

I can feel my heart beating faster, awaiting a reply.

"Don't your lips hurt?" She asks, making me chuckle.

"You're worth it," I answer.

We walk into my loft and go straight for the bed. We do nothing but lie there silently, letting our fingertips do the talking as we run them up and down each other's body until the sun comes up.

That's when she did the thing she always does and I don't deserve.

Forgive me.