Chapter 13 ● Blinded

Alex's POV - Flashback

"Why do you have two phones?" she asked.

"Why don't you have two phones?" I retorted.

○○○

"You're late," Michael spoke.

"Yeah well, the walk took more than 10 minutes. All apologies, mate," I replied.

"Sit down," one of his primates spoke.

I pulled out the cold metal seat and sat down as ordered.

The guy who had me wrapped around his finger was sat in the leather chair across from me.

"What exactly are you trying to pull, Alex?"

"Can't really pull anything under you, no?"

"You think you're funny don't you?"

"No comic," I shrug. "What can I do for you today, Michael?"

He pulled out a gun and placed it on the desk in between the two of us.

"I got the money you sent," he began. "It's all in order, just missing your company a bit. You're always no where to be found."

"You know me, flash of lightning," I joked.

"Alex, if I didn't know any better, I'd think you're trying to run from us," Michael says.

"I just thought, you know, all my dues have been paid."

"Your dues are never paid. I need you for a big delivery three weeks from now," he states.

"Where?"

"The Bronx."

"I'll be there," I speak.

"You better be. Last time you had a terrible excuse Alex," he starts. "Next time you don't show your face at one of these deliveries, I'm gonna wanna have your head. I don't wanna have to send out for you, have people following you, you're like a son to me," he put his hand on his chest, where a heart should be. "The problem is your dues may seem paid, you've given me back all the money you've asked for and then some, but one does not simply leave this life. Once you're in, you're in. You can't leave me. Ever. If you feel otherwise, you're gonna see what'll happen. Not to you, but to those around you."

○○○

Violet's POV - Present

"Get away from me," I say taking a step back.

"Let me explain!" He begs, knocking over a lamp, glass everywhere.

"Fine," I say surprising myself.

"When I first arrived here, to this city, with my dad he got sick. Really sick, hospital bills sick," Alex took my hands in his. "I got involved with the wrong kind of people because they offered a solution. They gave me the money, Vi. They were surprisingly really nice about it, he was nice about it, Michael, that's his name. And-and they didn't ask for anything in return. He had so much money, he has so much money, that he just handed it to me and I was in awe. I didn't know that he was the leader of a fucking drug cartel. I didn't know he would ask for favors after I was done paying him back. I didn't fucking know I would become this, a fucking drug dealer... I am so sorry."

I started feeling light headed at the last sentence. I shut my eyes and took my hands out of his grip. Trying to balance myself, stay standing.

"And what about your dad?" I asked.

"He died a couple of months after," Alex said before sitting on the couch and burying his face into his hands. "And I wasn't around much because I was too busy paying off the debt."

I could feel the tears streaming down my face. I was slowly walking back toward the door, not even realizing.

"I'm not a perfect person, Violet. I wish I never got involved with him, I'm trying to get out, I swear. Since before I met you, I've been trying to get out," he spoke and I stopped walking away. "I'm so sorry, I'm sorry for lying and hurting you. I just never wanted you to find out."

I take in everything he said and feel a rush of fear go through my entire body. What the hell was I supposed to do?

I really like this guy, and his heart was always in the right place. It still is.

I look over to the door and back at him. Alex was pleading with his eyes.

I took a breath before responding to everything he just said.

"I never said I was perfect either, Alex."

A smile crept on his face.

"I quite like you," he told me.