Chapter 28 ● As Per Usual

Violet's POV

I woke up to the sound of Topher yelling, which hasn't been uncommon for the past couple of months.

"I am going to fucking kill him!"

My guess is that 'him' is Alex and Topher is mad at him, except I can't think of any reason why, and then I open my eyes.

My legs are draped with a dull blue blanket and I have needles stuck in my arms, clamps on one of my index fingers and a throbbing head.

A blue curtain is pulled all the way to my left but I can see the shadow of three people there. Stephanie, Topher, and Joel.

I open my dry mouth up to try to call for Joel or Stephanie, anyone but Topher, but to no surprise, Topher pops his head in first, as if he knew I had woken up.

"What happened?" I ask all weary.

"What do you mean 'what happened?' That's our fucking question!" Topher raises his voice, I motion for him to keep it down as I bring my hand to the back of my head, bandages.

"Let me talk to someone more rational," I point at Stephanie as Topher throws his hands up and leaves the room.

"You guys," I start.

"Are you okay?" Joel asks.

"I honestly don't know," I respond.

"Topher got a call you were at the hospital from Alex, he was gone before we all got here. The nurses said that you hit your head at the bar. At least that's what Alex explained to them," Stephanie tells me.

"Did he hurt you?" Joel asks. "You were alone with him in the bar, did he hurt you?"

"No, no, he would never," I tell Joel. "Why weren't you there?"

"I decided to close up because literally no one came in today and Nick says he would take care of that, but when I called him to ask if he was there, his number was disconnected," Joel quaked. "Was Nick not there?"

"No, he wasn't, that's why I was asking," I lie. "Wait how long have I been here?"

"A couple of hours," Stephanie says. "But it's already morning, so basically a day."

"Listen, I want the both of you to go back home- actually, no. Go stay over at a friend's house or something. Under no circumstances do you go back home or talk to anyone you don't know, just trust me. I'll explain all of this to you guys once I know I'm safe, just please, stay away from me for a while, I don't mean it all to sound harsh, just leave, and tell Topher to come back in here," I speak.

"Is everything okay?" Stephanie asks worried and confused.

"Just trust me, okay?" I respond.

Joel looks at me with a look of understanding and urges Stephanie to go with him.

"I love you," I tell them both and they say the same back before they leave.

Topher walks back in, hands still rolled in a fist.

"Explain yourself," he starts. "What the fuck happened?"

"Topher, I love you, but you're being fucking stupid right now," I tell him. "Alex did nothing harmful, he brought me here and he had to leave because-"

"Because what? He didn't want to deal with it? You? With me?"

"I can't tell you anything. I just want you to get it through your head that Alex is in the right."

"My ass he is! Look at what he's put us through Vi! You're so blind!"

"Look Topher, I am aware of what he has put us through, but unlike you, I try not to dwell. This right here, isn't his fault. This is a result of him saving me, once again. Don't call me blind when you don't know what goes on between Alex and me. Whether you like it or not, Alex is my boyfriend and I'm-"

"You're with him again!" Topher laughs. "Oh my God!" he lets more chuckles escape. "Do what you want Violet! Just stay away from me, the both of you. You two are disastrous, perfect for each other."