Chapter 32 ● Follow

Violet's POV

After I leave the airport of my new home I pull out the sticky note.

An address on the front, simple directions on the back. "Walk West from the airport to the marina."

I head West and find myself distracted by the sea and the view. The sea breeze sends my hair in all kinds of directions and as a couple passes by my left I find myself smiling at them. Once they leave my sight I remind myself to stay away from people until it's safe. I look to my right and there it is, the marina. I walk along a dock and encounter an old man cleaning the side of his boat.

"Violetta?" he asks. "Alex, he says to take you."

I stay quiet.

"He said to tell you you don't know Jameson..."

A message to trust him, thank God.

"It's Violet," I tell him and get on his small boat.

Ten minutes later the old man with the accent helps me off his boat and leaves me be on the island. All I see are houses, I can count three. I pull out the sticky note and head up to the houses, trying to find a matching address.

The house on the tallest point of the island, the only one left to match. I walk up the three flights of white steps to a beautifully carved wooden door with a black metal trim. I rip off the keys off the note and open the door.

Marble white floors with white walls, windows showing the sea. I lock the door and leave my luggage downstairs. I run up the stairs and find a bedroom, white walls again, huge bed, balcony on the left which brought in the breeze that blew on the sheer white curtains. I'm all alone.

An hour later and I'm still all alone.

I take out the note Alex wrote me. I sit down on the bed and place everything else aside. I place it in the center and stare.

Another hour later and I decide that I have to read it and I tell myself he's not going to make it.

I get up and walk to the balcony, letter in hand. I manage to unfold the top part when I hear something drop downstairs.

Do I go check it or hide?

I ignore it and unfold the bottom half as I hear footsteps on the stairs.

"My dearest Violet-" I start to read.

"You just couldn't wait, huh?"

I turn around and there's Alex. There's the man that brought me to a foreign country to abandon everything and everyone I love, but he did it all to keep me safe. There's the man I love.

At times I feel like I shouldn't forgive him, that he's caused me so much hurt and ruined my life, but then I think of how miserable I would be without him and that he didn't mean any of it to damage my life at all. If anything he saved it.

I run up to him and wrap my arms around him as tight as I can, letting the unread letter fall to the floor.

"Where were you?" I ask after kissing him on his lips.

"The airport almost lost our bags, I had to wait a good forty minutes for them," he chuckles.

"I've missed you," I say before kissing him again.

"I've missed you too," he replies. "So, how do you like our new home?"

"Alex, i-it's amazing! I mean-"

"I told you I'd bring you far from there to Marseille," he smiles.