Chapter 14

Chapter 14:

Sliding out of his seat, he walked up to the stand. He was ready to say anything and everything, to keep Aleks safe.

"Eddie Cardona." The lawyer spoke slowly.

"Yes sir."

"How long had Aleks been abused?"

"Since... Since he was 10, sir."

"And you never went and reported his father?" The lawyer smiled.

"No. He asked me not to."

"Why?"

"He... He thought there was some good left in his father..." Eddie cringed.

"I see... And you saw his father abuse him?" The lawyer paced in front of the stand.

"No sir."

"Then how do you know it was his father?"

"Because Aleks would skype me, shortly after a beating, and show me proof."

"Like? What would prove it was his father?"

"Well... He would show me his bruises, and then point to where he had been hit, and sometimes blood was on the carpet, and other times, furniture would be broken... And if that's not proof of abuse, then it is proof of neglect."

"None of that was physical proof."

"Listen. Aleks is trustworthy. He has been my closest friend, and I cant live without him. If you let his father go free, he may next time, be found dead." Eddie let tears run down his face.

They were not tears of sadness, or fear, but tears of hot anger. Tears of anger he was holding back against the man who had nearly killed Aleks.

"You are very close to Aleks."

"Yes sir." He wiped his tears away, trying to compose himself.

"Are you... Are you more than friends?"

"I object. Your honor, how is this relevant?" The lawyer defending aleks almost shouted.

"Your honor, it is quite important."

"Overruled. Explain."

"Well, if Eddie is... Is dating Aleks, then there may... be some things he is hiding."

"Im dating Aleks. I am trying to help him, I would not withhold information."

"Did Aleks ever talk about anyone else beating him up?" The lawyer grinned.

"Uh, no. No he didnt."

"I see. He only told you?"

"I was the only one he trusted..."

"When did you start dating?"

"Shortly after he got out of the hospital."

"I see... And he was okay with you telling the police?"

"He was... He cried, and... Just last week, he had a nightmare... I could barely calm him down... He d reampt of his father..." Eddie looked down, remembering.

"He was terrified of his father?"

"Yes. He would sometimes come over, before this happened, and he would hide in my closet, when my parents came in, so he wouldnt have to go home."

"I see..."

After a few more questions, The lawyer dismissed Eddie, and made points making Aleks look like some kind of criminal. Eddie almost attacked the man, but Aleks held him back.