Chapter 4

My final year of high school was about patience. I just wanted it to be done so that I could get out of there and begin my life. There is most certainly an element of grandeur when it comes to the big wide world that awaits a school leaver; the unknown is most often exciting.

There's an instant perception of freedom and independence. I guess some people do get those things, but that was never going to be me.

My only dream since I was six years old was to be a writer. I also wanted to study film and journalism. I had plans. Other than that one year I was obsessed with Indiana Jones and wanted to become an adventurous archaeologist fighting Nazi's, my life goal was to make a living out of writing.

Unfortunately, I had neither the support system nor finances, and to be honest I didn't have the grades to go do the university/college thing. So as my time at school came to an end, there was, undoubtedly, also an element of dread about what I would do next.

As the old saying goes, life happens when you're making other plans.

In November of 1996, my school career came to an end. And just like that, all I had to remember my high school years, were the memories of not applying myself to my full potential...and ironically, a certificate for perfect attendance.

Yup, amazingly, throughout my tumultuous childhood, I had not missed a single day of school for 12 years. Fittingly, my name was spelled wrong on the certificate.

I still wonder what direction my life could have taken, if I had a studied harder. For someone who went to a school for the highly gifted just a few years before that, school now bored me. It had simply been the distraction from my home life.

Recently, I took an IQ test again and scored 139. One less than I scored as a child, which made me wonder if I was now dumber, or just about as smart as a child. But to be fair it was an American test...so some of the terminology was a bit out of place.

When I researched what makes one gifted as a child, I found the following on the MENSA website, which made me smile, as it reads like my online dating profile...

Dr Linda Kreger Silverman provides the following characteristics of giftedness:

• Reasons well (good thinker)

• Learns rapidly

• Has extensive vocabulary

• Has an excellent memory

• Has a long attention span (if interested)

• Sensitive (feelings hurt easily)

• Shows compassion

• Perfectionistic

• Intense

• Morally sensitive

• Has strong curiosity

• Perseverant in their interests

• Has high degree of energy

• Prefers older companions or adults

• Has a wide range of interests

• Has a great sense of humor

• Early or avid reader (if too young to read, loves being read to)

• Concerned with justice, fairness

• Judgment mature for age at times

• Is a keen observer

• Has a vivid imagination