Chapter 29

15th August 2007: Perhaps one of the most important days of my life.

It was Lori's 27th birthday, and for me, it was make or break. All or nothing.

I felt if I could just do something epic enough to show the value of my love, I might just convince her of my love for her.

If it backfired, however, it would freak her out and destroy any slim chance we had of being together.

I accepted those terms and decided to go for it.

Based on our conversations over the last few months, I had a good understanding of her hopes, her dreams, and most importantly, her fears. Thanks to my elephant-like memory, and also a ridiculously (overly) romantic heart, I had the perfect gift in mind.

I went in search of the perfect diary. Something classy, and beautiful.

The intention was never for her to write anything in it, but instead, I was to write something to her.

For the next few days, the project became a labour of love. Inside the diary, I wrote 27 promises I would make to her over her lifetime. Each one based on the abovementioned hopes, dreams and fears.

From things to do before she died, to her ultimate holiday destination, and even her fears in life and relationships, I covered the spectrum. From my own heart, I promised to fulfill each and every one of them. And of course, each year she got to add an additional promise into the diary.

Even by my standards, it was bad-ass romantic, but it could go either way in terms of reaction. My general rule of thinking is that if it even has a chance of making someone happy...I have to do it. It doesn't normally end well, but I never in my entire life want to regret not doing something romantic for someone.

On the morning of her birthday, I was up early and headed to her house. If I could convince the security guards to let me into the complex, I was going to hang the gift on the inside of her front garden door. That way I knew either her or her mom would see it when they left for work.

Luckily, the security guard knew me from the number of times I had been there, and bent the rules to let me in. (Normally they have to phone the resident to get permission), but he understood it was to be a surprise and let me in.

I left the gift exactly as I wanted to, sneaking in and out the garden unnoticed, and then headed to work. Now the wait began...

Whether it was the fact that I had never ever been at the office this early, or simply that I was overthinking each minute that passed, the wait was agonizing.

The longer I went without hearing a word from her, the more I feared the idea had gone badly, real badly.

Pacing around my office with my phone in my hand, I stared at it, willing it to ring. Finally, just on lunchtime, Lori phoned me.

Not knowing what to expect, I nervously answer with a "hey birthday girl", trying to draw attention away from any desperation in my voice.

Her opening line was: "You...are the most amazing man." I sank into my chair with relief, probably a feeling only equivalent to successfully stopping a speeding meteor from hitting Earth and destroying all mankind.

She thanked me for the best birthday present she had ever received in her life, and asked if I wanted to join her and her family for dinner that night.

I did. So very much, I did.

And just as I did so early that morning, I drove triumphantly back to her house that evening.