Chapter five - Don't worry about me.

After I dropped off Mr. Mendes's phone, I headed back to the house as fast as I possibly could.

"Mom! I'm back! I'm going up to my room for a little. Love you!" I yell as I walk into my bedroom.

Okay, let me think. Let's see, I have known my teacher for almost 3 months now. He lives next to me and visits almost every day. I don't know what to think after seeing his girlfriend that he was ranting about. Now that I know who she is, I can't imagine all the things he might be going through right now.

"Melony! We have to leave for a last minute operation! We will see you later, okay?" My mom shouts from the bottom of the stairs.

"Okay! Love you, Bye!" I shout last minute, as I hear them walk out of the door, start the car, and leave. I walk downstairs to a really quiet room and head to the kitchen to get a late night snack. I start to hear rain sprinkles from outside.

"Aw, shit," I say, realizing that now, I am going to end up getting moody later on. Every time it rains, I always end up feeling sleepy or just moody, it always has happened and always will.

I hear a light knock on the door, so I get up to answer it.

"Hello?" I ask, as I slowly open the door to see Mr. Mendes standing there with a blue and purple eye, cuts around his other eye, and a few cuts on his lips. "Mr. Mendes! Are you okay? Come in, please." I say, as he slowly walks in, taking a seat at the table. I grab a rag and wet it. I walk over to Mr. Mendes, whose cuts are bleeding pretty badly.

"I am okay, Melony. I just need to cool down." He says, his Canadian voice sounding slightly raspy, like the after effect from yelling and screaming so loud and for so long.

I look down to see more bruises and cuts on his arm. The bleeding slows down, but they are pretty bad.

"Well, let me help clean you up," I say, as I gently touch the cold rag to his face.

I see him cringe, so I held off for a second. I can't help but see how close I am to him. I am sitting on a kitchen stool, while his hands are gently touching my left arm for support. I slowly, and gently continue cleaning his cuts for him.

"What happened, Mr. Mendes?" I ask, hoping it wouldn't be something about his girlfriend. And you know what. Fuck, it was.

"Well, when I walked into the house, Stephanie, currently not my girlfriend anymore, started shouting at me about where I had been," He speaks softly, not raising his voice, "When I tried to tell her, she slapped me. Being as angry at her as I already was, I got up the courage to tell her that I was sick of all her lies and that I was done with her and her—excuse my language once more, Bullshit. I tried to end everything, but apparently, she wasn't ready to.

"She punched and kicked me until I told her to pack her things immediately and leave. I had nowhere else to go but here. Thank you, for everything." He tells me as I continue to sit on his lap, cleaning his cuts, and listen to his story. He flashes a small smile at me and I kindly return the favour.

"You are most welcome," I say, kindly moving the cold rag from his face down to his arms.

I can't help but think of the fact that he is really kind, and such a gentleman, even excusing himself from bad language was all it took for me to see the man in him.

"You are something different, Ms. Adams." He sighs, plastering a gentle smile on his face. I can see his chocolate eyes looking at me, sending chills down my spine.

We both look at each other at eye level, and I notice that I am still close to him. Mr. Mendes slowly comes in closer, and I keep thinking that he is just going to give me a hug. But he's not. We both come closer, and I can feel our noses touch slightly.