Body Double// part 1

--

"To clarify, we didn't mean we were guilty of killing Jason," Hayley defends Cheryl and herself as soon as they are seated.

"I loved him more than I do myself. But I am guilty of lying about what happened on July 4th," Cheryl explains in a hurry, scared of what was to come.

"When was the last time you saw your brother?" Sheriff asks Cheryl questions first.

"It was July 4th. I don't know what happened the week after that, but..." she trails off.

"Cheryl, in your own words, what happened at Sweetwater River?"

"The plan was bananas, even for me. Jason wanted to leave Riverdale and never come back. He asked for my help to stage a tragic accident, so that our mom and dad wouldn't come after him. Our story would be, we went for an early morning boat ride, and the boat tipped, and capsized, and Jason drowned. In fact, we made it to the other side dry as bones. We said goodbye on the Greendale side of Sweetwater River. He promised he'd call me as soon as he was in a place where he couldn't be reached or pulled back by our parents. One month, at the most." She starts sweating and panting, "Every day, I waited for him to call, for an email."

By now, tears are flowing down her cheeks freely. Hayley wraps an arm around her shoulder for comfort.

"You tell anyone about the plan? Any way that you can corroborate it? And you have no idea why your brother wanted to run away, fake his own death? Doesn't that seem cruel?"

Hayley closes her eyes, knowing exactly why Jason wanted to leave, but she knew she couldn't say anything. She promised Jason that no matter what, she wouldn't say anything about his plan. Besides, if the Blossoms found out, Polly might be in danger.

"No, he wasn't... Jason wasn't cruel," Cheryl answers.

"So maybe this is all just a web of lies you're spinning to cover your own tracks."

"Enough Sheriff," Hayley interrupts the little spat, "Why am I here?"

"Hayley," his eyes snap to her and he looks offended at the disrespect, "We called Jason's phone company to see where he was last."

"Okay?" Hayley shrugs, not realizing where this was going.

"Before it was disconnected, it was on the other side of the river. The last number dialed on the phone was yours, and the conversation was 15 minutes long Hayley." He explains accusingly and pulls out a couple of papers before looking back up at her, "Want to tell me what you two talked about? Because according to Kevin, you weren't even friends with Jason Blossom."

Hayley leans back in her chair, fear running through her body as she tried to control her breathing. Will she have to tell Jason's secret to everyone? Was she willing to put Polly and her unborn child in danger to clear her name?