flashback// true friends

--

It was end of May or early June. A picture perfect afternoon. Hayley sat on a large rock in an open field framed with trees in the middle of the forest surrounding the river. She looks all round for any sounds of footsteps, hoping to hear Jason. She waits for a minute before sighing and pulling out her phone, soon getting engaged in an article discussing NASA's new discoveries.

"Hey cruise girl," Jason smiles his charming smile when he finally spots Hayley, reading silently on her phone. She jumps at the noise, startled, and his smile on gets bigger when he realizes that she was so engrossed in her reading, she didn't hear him coming.

Hayley looks at him and stands up, her heart beating faster and faster as she walked closer.

"How've you be-" Jason doesn't get to finish his sentence. Hayley throws her arms around his neck and he staggers back, his hands flying around her back. He pulls her in and closes his eyes, waiting for her to let go first.

"You okay?" He questions after a minute has passed by and she still hasn't let go.

"Sorry," she smiles as she backs up, "Just haven't seen you in a while."

"You know we can tell everyone we're friends right?" Jason questions and grins, showing his pearly white teeth as he walks past Hayley and towards the large rock she was previously sitting on. He lowers himself onto a different rock, only a couple of inches away from Hayley's rock.

"Yeah," she replies, "but then, I'd have to answer the questions, 'why are you friends?' 'how do you even know each other?' 'how did this even happen?'"

"And I don't particularly want to answer those," She finishes as she takes her place on her designated rock.

Jason hmms, "I'm just saying, you won't have to keep meeting me in a forest."

"You say that like you mind," Hayley replies and picks up her backpack which was beside the huge rock the entire time. She rummages through it and pulls out a packet of goldfish crackers. She grabs a handful and shoves them in her mouth before offering some to Jason.

Jason grins and takes some, "That is true. I love it out here."

Hayley swallows before commenting, "No expectations, no pressure, no stress. Just us."

"Two friends," Jason starts.

"True friends," Hayley adds in.

"On a perfect day." The two finish together and shoot each other a smile before Jason turns serious.

"Are you okay?" he questions, moving his face so he's looking up at the sky and not at Hayley to admire the cloudy sky.

"I'm doing better," she answers truthfully, "It'll be a year in a couple of weeks."