A Touch of Evil// part 1

--

The next morning, Hayley Cohen woke up to the horrible news of Jason Blossom. He was finally found last night, dead in the lake by her own friend, Kevin. However, it wasn't Jason's body that had everyone in Riverdale creeped. Everyone assumed that his body would turn up after accumulating enough water to float to the top, but that's not what happened. Instead, Jason Blossom's body turned up at the edge of the river with a bullet hole going through its forehead. The news, not only scared everyone to death, but it also revealed the fact that there was a murderer in the town. A murderer that anyone could know, or maybe a murderer everyone knew.

This leads us to the part of our story where Hayley Cohen decides that she would help in finding the murderer of Jason Blossom- not because she thought it was the right thing to do, but because her mind ran faster than she could sometimes comprehend and it had already begun to compile a suspect list, whether she knew it or not.

"Did you hear?" Is the first thing Betty says when her FaceTime call to Hayley connects. It was 7 in the morning and Betty had already gotten ready for school even though it didn't start for another hour.

"Hear what?" the brunette rubs her eyes in an attempt to wake herself up.

"It's Jason," Betty closes her journal and look up at her screen.

"What about him? He's back?" Hayley yawns and sits up in her bed, not realizing what she had just said.

"Back?" Betty looks confused, "Why would he be back?"

Hayley's eyes widen, "I mean," a nervous laughter escapes her, "I just," she gulps, "They haven't found his body in the river, so maybe he's still alive. I mean, he was a great swimmer."

"No Hayley. That's the thing. They found his body."

Hayley stops breathing. In that moment, only a couple of seconds after she was told of Jason's death, Hayley felt the entire world crashing beneath her feet. She felt as if time was frozen, she felt so disconnected. She could see Betty's mouth moving, but she couldn't hear anything the blonde said. She couldn't even find the strength to breathe. The air was so thick , it was almost impossible.

"Hayley? Are you okay?"

"Um," the brunette looks down at the ground where her phone had fallen with a loud thud she hadn't heard, "Ye-yeah. I'm okay. Listen. I've gotta go. My mom is calling me."

"I didn't hear anyth-"

"Bye Betty."

Hayley drops her phone again, consciously and on her bed this time. She walks over to her vanity and sits on the chair, looking in the mirror with a horror stricken face. The dread was filled in her head to toe, and she could barely breathe. Gasping for air every now and then, Hayley Cohen let her tears fall one by one, her shoulders trembling. She tips her head back and closes her eyes. Dragging her shaking hands across her wet face, the girl sniffles lightly. Then, she looks back in the mirror, this time with a more definite gaze, picks up her concealer and drags it harshly across her under eye in an attempt to cover up her dark circles. She blends it in, trying to cover up any imperfections she could see. After looking in the mirror one more time, she stands up unemotionally with a blank stare and walks over to her nightstand. She pulls one of the drawers open and lifts up a small metal box in shape of a square. Then, she digs deeper in the drawer and pulls out a silver necklace with a hollow heart locket in the center. Pushing the button that opened the heart, the brunette girl smiles softly as she sees a key. With the key, she opens up the box and stares at what is inside. It is Polaroid photos. Photos of her. Photos of her smiling, photos of her laughing, photos of her frowning and photos of her badly pretending to be a model. She sifts through the photos, not daring to look at any of them for more than a second each before stopping on a special one. It is one of her leaning against a wall while laughing hysterically, looking more at the person behind the camera than at the camera. Before she knows it, a tear trails down her cheek and falls onto the photo, right onto her laughing face. She quickly brushes the tear off and turns the picture over, reading the message on the back, as she had done many times before.