The River's Edge// part 3

The River's Edge// part 3 --

--

"Hey mom," Hayley greets her mother as she sets down her bookbag on the kitchen table.

"Hey sweetie," she greets back. She sets down the knife she was using to chop up tomatoes and turns around, "How was School?"

Hayley laughs sardonically, "Eventful. Archie and I broke up."

"Oh, honey," Her mother gasps and moves forward to pull her in a hug.

Hayley welcomes the hug and breaks down in her mother's embrace, "I just love him so much mommy."

"Oh darling," Katherine rubs her daughters hair, "It's going to be alright. Do you want to watch some great movies with me and overdose on ice cream? I may have bought two tubs of rocky road while at the grocery store today."

Hayley hiccups mid her sobs, "No. I was actually hoping-" hic "-that we could-" hic "-go dress shopping."

"For the back to school dance thing right? I have a dress in mind. Let's go check it out," her mother smiles down at her.

--

"So are you going alone?" Katherine questions her daughter as she comes out of the dressing room with a simple, knee length white dress on.

The white dress just stops right above her knees and has cutouts around the midriff

The white dress just stops right above her knees and has cutouts around the midriff. Hayley looks up at her mother expectedly before answering her question.

"No. I'm going with Veronica and Betty," she answers with a quilt faced look, "with Archie as our escort."

"You're going with your ex boyfriend?" her mother laughs, catching Hayley off guard. Hayley expected her mom to be mad and tell her not to with him since he broke her heart, but then again, Hayley hadn't exactly told her mom why they broke up. Sure her mother had asked why, but Hayley's answer had been, "We just needed some space. It was mutual. I love him. I always will, but I think it was time for a break."