The Last Picture Show// part 4

--

The next day, Hayley was surprised when she walked downstairs and spotted her mom talking to Alice Cooper with a guilty Betty Cooper behind her. When the three felt another presence, they turned and instantly, Hayley's mothers eyes hardened. Then, Hayley saw it. It was in Alice's hand.

Grundy's gun.

The last she knew, Betty had the gun. Alice must've found it in her room.

"Mom-" Hayley spoke to defend herself but Katherine stopped her.

"You should've told someone," she sighed and rubbed her temple, "we could've taken this to court. This is illegal in so many ways."

"I didn't want Archie to get in trouble," Hayley mumbles, "He made a bad choice and now he's trying to fix it."

"Hayley, I hope you know that I will have to report this," her mom says and Hayley's eyes widen in horror.

"You can't!" She rushes out, "Look, mom please just leave it alone. I've talked to Archie and even he agrees. It's over. Archie's heart will break if anyone finds out- please."

Katherine's eyes soften at her daughters state and pleas; she tries to fight against her moral compass, but she's unsuccessful, "Hayley, what if she does it again? She needs to be jailed so she doesn't terrorize anyone else, darling."

"Katherine," Alice finally speaks up, "If I may. Hayley, if you tell us where Archie is right now, we won't tell, and I know you know where he is."

Hayley hangs her head, glancing at Betty for only a quick second before nodding, "He's with Grundy. At the school. He's asking her to leave town."

Lifting her head slightly, all she can see is a growing smirk on Alice's face.

---

Hayley and Betty sit in the backseat of Alice's car while Alice drives with Fred's truck following behind them.

Hayley turns to Betty and whispers quietly so Alice in front can't hear, "how did she find out?"

Betty wipes a tear, "She read my diary. I'm so sorry Hayley, I never meant for her to find out. I'm so sorry."

"It's fine," Hayley assures her cousin and grabs her knee in comfort, "I don't blame you whatsoever Betty. Quite frankly, I'm more worried about the fact that your mom invaded your privacy and read you diary."

Betty nods and smiles, still feeling guilty about the whole thing. Finally, the four finally reach the school and get out.

"Well," Alice turns to Hayley, "Where are they Hayley?"

"Probably in cafeteria? Or maybe the principle office?" Hayley replies sarcastically, "I'm not sure. Where could they possibly be?"

Alice's eye twitches as Fred's eyes widen in surprise. He had never seen the girl be so disrespectful.