The River's Edge// part 1

The River's Edge// part 1 --

--

"Are you excited for sophomore year, dear?" Hayley's mother asks from the passenger seat of their car, "School starts tomorrow."

"I guess," the said girl sighs from the backseat.

Her mother tuns and puts a hand on her knee, giving her daughter a reassuring smile, "If you're worried Archie not calling back sweetheart, don't be. The boy probably has a really good explanation. He did spend the summer working for his dad. Maybe he got a little caught up with all the work."

"That's right," her dad agrees with her mother, keeping his eyes on the road, "And if he's ignoring you, don't forget, I know where he lives."

Hayley laughs, "Dad! Well, Betty did say he's been like that with her as well, so I suppose you're right mom."

"I still haven't gotten my land legs back," her dad claims, "I think that right now, I could probably drive a boat better than this car."

"Don't make any boat jokes when we get back Steven. You know that's how Jason died. Weren't you friends with him Hay?"

"Eh, I only met him a couple of times," she shrugs, "I'm friends with his sister. She's our cheer captain. I feel terrible about his death though, she must be going through a lot right now. I called her as soon as I heard and she couldn't even talk."

"I saw on the school website she's taking her position as cheer captain again- such a brave girl," her mom comments with a look of pity in her eyes.

--

"Hello," Hayley groggily says in her phone. She rubs her eyes with one hand in attempt to wake her up.

"Hey, Hayley. When are you getting here? We're suppose to be giving a new girl a tour." Betty practically yells into the phone, successfully waking Hayley up.

"Betty, it's like 5. Go back to sleep," She squints her eyes as she tries to make out the numbers on her clock.

"Check your phone. It's 7," Betty replies .

"What?" Hayley shoots up out of bed. She grabs her glasses and puts them on, gasping when her eyes finally make out the red numbers. Betty was right. It was 7:05.

"Crap." Hayley exclaims as she runs into her closet, grabbing the outfit she had put out the night before, "Sorry, Betty. I'll be there in 20."

"Alright," Betty sighs into the phone.

They both hang up and Hayley pulls on her clothes. She brushes her teeth, puts in her contacts and finally after looking in the mirror one last time, grabs her phone and leaves her room.